- Learn while you earn
- Achieve a National Certificate qualification
- Great work environment for people starting their careers
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Traineeship Program is an initiative of the CSIRO Indigenous Engagement Strategy which seeks to significantly increase Indigenous employment nationally within CSIRO. Through this strategy, CSIRO aims to enhance the educational, employment, training and career development opportunities for people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
An opportunity exists for a trainee to join CSIRO Agriculture and Food to undertake a workplace-based traineeship. In this role you will assist in the research and understanding of Australian soils including how we can better manage our soils, and the interactions between soil, water, nutrients and plants that are important for food production and sustaining our natural environment. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team of soil and agricultural scientists, as well as research technicians in the field, laboratory and office.
Over the course of the traineeship, the successful applicant will undertake on-the-job training and complete a Nationally Accredited Qualification relative to their position. The course fees for this qualification will be paid for by CSIRO. Upon successful completion of the training package the trainee will be considered for further employment with CSIRO subject to the availability of a position.
Your duties will include
- Assisting with collecting plant and soil samples from agricultural field research in southern Australia.
- Assisting with the preparation and processing of soil samples and the measurements of soil properties or processes in the laboratory.
- Assisting with the checking of data and the entry of data into computer files.
- Assisting with general operations in the laboratory including equipment maintenance and organisation.
Location: Waite Campus, Urrbrae, SA
Salary: AU$23,459 to AU$26,001 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Duration: Specified term of approximately 12 months depending on course of study
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Open to people of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent will be required prior to confirming the traineeship).
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
You will be requested to provide:
- A resume and cover letter advising why you are interested in the traineeship with CSIRO; and
- Confirmation of Aboriginality and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (this can be provided later if necessary).
03 December 2018