Principal Engineer - Flooding
BMT Commercial Australia Pty Ltd (View other jobs from this organisation)
As one of Australia's largest and most experienced consultancies in water and environmental work, BMT Environment Australia expertise is unequalled. We have a team of highly qualified engineers and scientists with expert knowledge of all aspects of water and environmental consulting.
About The Role:
Our team based in our Broadmeadow, Newcastle office has a need for a Principal Engineer to support the delivery of critical projects that include flood studies, floodplain management plans, and flood forecasting and warning systems. As a highly experienced professional, you will undertake and oversee technical tasks of advanced scope and complexity, working with other business leaders to share knowledge and advance the business.
You will be joining a large, dynamic and exciting group of engineers and scientists providing leading-edge and fit-for-purpose solutions to a wide variety of flooding related matters and will work closely with specialists in hydraulic modelling, flood management, flood forecasting and the developers of the TUFLOW software.
We are asking persons who have a commitment to quality, innovation and problem solving to explore this opportunity, especially those who have watched our recent awards and current projects with interest including:
- Recipient of the Flood Risk Management Project of the Year 2017 for the Melbourne Water Flood Intelligence Decision Support System;
- Queensland Engineering Excellence Award Winner 2018 for the Brisbane River Catchment Flood Study – Best Engineering Project in Qld out of all engineering disciplines;
- National Engineering Excellence Award Nominee 2018 for the Brisbane River Catchment Flood Study;
- Premier's Award for Excellence 2017 for the Brisbane River Catchment Flood Study
- Swan River Flood and Floodplain Management Studies 2018;
- Development of the Flood Forecasting System for the Bagmati-Adhwara River Basin, India 2018;
- Brisbane River Catchment Strategic Floodplain Management Plan 2018; and
- Flood Mitigation in Samoa 2018.
- Leading and managing flood related projects in the fields of hydrology and numerical flood modelling, flood risk assessment, floodplain management, flood warning and forecasting;
- Technical review / quality assurance of project deliverables including model development;
- Training and mentoring of staff to boost technical capabilities within the team;
- Providing strategic technical advice to internal and external Clients;
- Developing and applying innovative solutions and delivering high quality solutions to clients requiring a high level of individual judgement and initiative;
- Contributing to the ongoing successful operation of the Flood Group through the development of client relationships and business opportunities; and
- Liaising and collaborating with the broader BMT organisation, within both flood related and multi-disciplinary fields including coastal processes, catchment and water quality modelling.
The Ideal Candidate:
- At least 10+ years experience
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in engineering or equivalent;
- Experience in developing, calibrating and simulating flood models (TUFLOW software experience preferable);
- Right to work in Australia.
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable are:
- Desire to coach and mentor others
- Willingness to travel interstate and overseas on an ad hoc basis
What We Offer:
BMT Environment Australia's greatest assets are our employees. We provide many benefits including:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Weekly fruit delivery
- Annual flu vaccinations
- Ability to purchase leave
- Study assistance
BMT Environment Australia have a unique and supportive culture, where the enjoyment of what we do grows out of focus on the pursuit of technical excellence and innovation.
As part of the pre-employment process, potential employees are required to undertake background checks applicable to the requirements of the position (i.e. reference checks, pre-employment medical, and Australian working rights confirmation).
Applications must include a detailed CV and covering letter outlining experience and skills as it relates to the details provided above.
Applications won't be accepted from Recruitment Agencies
- Closing Date:
- 06 Dec 2019
- NSW - Broadmeadow
- Work Type:
- Full Time