Bring your expertise to develop and implement influential, evidence-based housing policy and reform for the City Of Melbourne!
$106,988 + 9.5% Superannuation
Temporary to 20 January 2020
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
As part of the Urban Strategy Branch and reporting directly to the Team Leader of Strategy and Advocacy, your role as the Senior Housing Policy Advisor will be to principally champion the development of the City’s new Housing Strategy and its implementation. You will be responsible for leading discussions about important housing and policy issues in the city; developing and testing impactful policy approaches to deliver affordable housing, as well contributing to other relevant policy issues to Urban Strategy.
Through the delivery of current and future Council Plan Actions regarding housing and planning, you will be responsible for ensuring best practice and innovative approaches be piloted and adopted. You may also be involved in procuring and managing specialist consultants to enable independent expert advice to Council.
In this role you will play a pivotal part in providing leadership and high quality professional advice to give effect to Council’s goals for proactively managing the municipality’s development, including but not limited to:
• Identify housing and policy issues and challenges, and develop, articulate and implement evidence-based housing initiatives to achieve outcomes sought by Council
• Develop important partnerships and research collaborations to ensure Council is progressing opportunities to innovate in this sector
• Manage projects, portfolios of projects and project teams to ensure that the expected time, cost and quality outcomes are met
• Contribute to the development of strategic urban plans and policy including structure plans, masterplans or strategies
• Contribute to develop the Melbourne Planning Scheme to achieve Council’s urban development strategies and objectives
• Participate in programs for continuous improvement of the way the Branch works to improve the quality and productivity of the Branch.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
• Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
• Relevant qualifications and/or extensive experience in public policy development and implementation, housing policy, urban planning (or similar)
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis in the areas of negotiation
• Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management, preferably with the community housing sector and/ or development sector, state government
• Exceptional problem-solving and strategic thinking capabilities with experience in developing impactful solutions to complex problems
• Comprehensive understanding of urban planning principles and processes and an understanding of the range of issues impinging upon capital city planning
• Demonstrated ability to research and analyse complex policy issues, preferably related to housing policy, identify future policy opportunities and critically assess policy alternatives
• Outstanding project management skills in leading and participating in cross-corporate and multi-organisational projects including project planning, resource management and ensuring delivery of outcomes within budget and to agreed timeframes.
• High level of computer literacy including being proficient in the use and application if the Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to use online social, engagement and communication media
• An understanding of and capability to apply computer based urban systems analytical and modelling tools
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
• attach your resume
• attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Andrea Kleist, Team Leader Strategy and Advocacy, Urban Strategy
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.