Senior Environmental Approvals Advisor - [Archived Advertisement]
Mid West Ports Authority (View other jobs from this organisation)
Senior Environmental Approvals Advisor
We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our Environmental & Sustainability Team as a Senior Environmental Approvals Advisor on a 3-year fixed term, full-time basis with the possibility of extension and/or permanency located in either our Perth or Geraldton office.
We are a busy Western Australian Port that places the highest emphasis on our people, customers, and community in conducting our daily business. At Mid West Ports Authority, we recognise that our people are our most valuable resource, and we are committed to developing and supporting our workforce and fostering a work environment where our values of accountability, integrity, courage, caring and collaboration are key.
Mid West Ports Authority (MWPA) provides an essential service, connecting regional Australia to national and international markets as a specialist port catering to boutique and diverse operations. MWPA operates seven (7) commercial berths and critical marine and land assets which enables the facilitation of trade for the Mid West region, exporting a variety of products including iron ore, grains, mineral sands, non-mineral sands and mineral concentrates. The Port also imports fuel, fertiliser and break bulk cargo. The Port of Geraldton also encompasses the Geraldton Fishing Boat Harbour (FBH), home to Geraldton’s fishing industry. The FBH provides significant opportunities for further development of the Port and activation of a thriving commercial and leisure industry hub.
We are deeply committed to creating a workforce that is diverse, inclusive, and reflective of the communities in which we operate in. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds and people with disabilities.
About the Role
This role will be responsible for providing strategic advice and technical support for environmental approvals required for development of MWPA ports. The role is responsible for the provision of environmental approval and project management services to support port development.
The Senior Environmental Approvals Advisor will project manage the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) process to ensure the timely delivery of regulatory approvals including developing Scope of Works, reviewing proposals, and managing consultants; develop and author approvals under Part IV and V of the Environmental Protection Act 1986 and other state and federal environmental legislation.
The Senior Environmental Approvals Advisor will also provide environmental advice to the business to support projects from the development of the business case, project specific approvals strategies and supporting the Environment Manager building relationships with government regulators, leaseholders, and other stakeholders through consultative processes.
Key responsibilities and experience (addressed in Covering Letter):
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Sciences or Engineering
- 10 years of environmental experience in the resource or maritime industries or environmental consultancy, with at least 5 years of direct experience in planning and writing approvals documents.
- Demonstrated experience in environmental compliance and/or sustainability and practical industry experience in: Construction, Mining or Port Operations.
- Able to work in a team environment, engaging with internal and external stakeholders on a professional level.
- Demonstrated project and contract management skills with the ability to deliver multiple projects on time, within budget and to high standards.
- Ability to provide specialist environmental approvals advice and solutions to complex project planning processes.
- Demonstrated experience leading both state and commonwealth regulatory environmental approvals, for mining or port development projects.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering environmental impact assessments, management plans and compliance reports.
- Exceptional technical report writing and presentation skills.
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Health & Wellbeing Program
- 20 days Annual Leave per annum (pro rata)
- Professional Development and Training Opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Recognition Program
- Potential Relocation Assistance
Eligibility to Apply: Australian citizenship or permanent residency is an essential requirement for applicants to be considered for permanent positions in the public sector.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the advertised vacancy. However, should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised vacancy, then the next most suitable applicant may also be selected from this process. This option remains valid for a period of twelve (12) months from when the authorised delegate endorses the recruitment decision.
Living in the Mid West:
MWPA operations are located in sunny Geraldton, situated 400kms north of Perth, Western Australia, and is a coastal, community focused and family friendly town. We also have several key roles based in our Perth office.
Our reputation for sunny days, beautiful beaches, water sports and wildflowers should be enough to tempt anyone, but if you need more convincing check out this video for more information on why you should live and work Geraldton. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeR-N1Kxpz8
- Closing Date:
- 19 Feb 2024
- Level 8.1- $145,565 + Superannuation
- Work Type:
Environmental Science/Earth Science