We are NSW’s bulk water supplier, river operator and your one-stop shop for licensing, water trades and water information. We supply two thirds of water used in NSW from our 42 dams, rivers and pipelines to regional towns, irrigators, Sydney Water and local water utilities. We also own and operate the largest surface and groundwater monitoring network in the southern hemisphere and build, maintain and operate essential infrastructure.
As a Hydrologist, you will undertake specialised hydrology and water modelling activities as well as provide engineering support and advice. You will undertake a broad range of hydrological activities for internal and external customers which include; planning, water delivery, food and emergency operations and capital projects. You will turn abstract data and information into relevant knowledge which will facilitate an understanding of the complexities of catchments, storages and transfer systems.
WaterNSW is responsible for providing modelling services to SW in the LTCOP development. Currently, there are two full time staff working on Greater Sydney models, who are also committed to work on other projects. The modelling tasks are time consuming, complex and requires thorough quality checking before sending the output to stakeholders. To meet Sydney Water/DPIE's modelling requirements and demanding project timeline, our Urban Water Supply Modelling Team will need additional resource to augment our current modelling capability. It is envisaged that one term FTE for 12 months duration (up to end December 2022) will be required. The modelling resources in other teams are already handling high priority tasks.
- Hydrological analysis like rainfall-runoff modelling
- WATHNET model data preparation and model run
- Assist in Wathnet modelling for LTCOP scenarios
- Assist in climate change impact assessment
Skills and Qualifications required:?
- Master’s degree in Water resources or Civil Engineering
- 5+ years’ experience on hydrological modelling
- Experience in data preparation for hydrologic/system models
- Basic knowledge on water resources planning and system modelling
- Able to perform hydrological data analysis and presentation
- Able to work autonomously as well as in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
This is a unique opportunity to work in an organization that values and embraces diversity and is committed to ensuring that its employees reflect the NSW community it serves. At WaterNSW we also endeavour to promote flexible ways to work.
What we are offering
- 12 months term role
- 9 day fortnight, Hybrid approach – work from home and office
- Diverse and supportive team environment
- Excellent chance to grow in a high profile organisation and role
WaterNSW is committed to the safety of employees and wider community, as such, full vaccination against COVID-19 will be a condition of entry to all our workplaces. All applicants will need to meet this condition.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a National police check and Medical check. Any offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance of these checks.
More information can be accessed via the Position Description. Queries can be directed to: Recruitment@waternsw.com.au
All applications must be lodged via an online application - emailed applications will not be accepted.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 4th February 2022