Coastal restoration for blue carbon and co-benefit outcomes on tropical agriculture floodplains
We are offering a PhD scholarship in the field of coastal restoration for blue carbon and co-benefit outcomes on tropical agriculture floodplains in the Centre for Tropical Water and Aquatic Ecosystem Research (TropWATER) at James Cook University in Townsville. The Centre completes world class scientific research that best solves tropical water challenges, and collaborates and communicates the results on a local, regional and global stage.
The successful PhD candidate will join an outstanding research group focused on delivering coastal wetland restoration outcomes in the areas of blue carbon, water quality and biodiversity. The student will conduct field and laboratory manipulative experiments to evaluate the blue carbon potential in coastal restoration projects occurring on tropical agricultural floodplains. This research project has the potential, provided an easing of Covid-19 restrictions, to be involved in research travel overseas as part of the research groups expanding program.
- Measuring soil and vegetation carbon stocks using standard techniques;
- Field work and laboratory manipulative experiments;
- Working with a broad range of end users;
- Communication of results to government and scientist colleagues.
- BSc Honours Class I or M.Sc. (or equivalent via outstanding record of professional or research achievements)
- Excellent computer programming, communication, and organisational skills
- Forward thinking, innovation and creativity are encouraged
- Extensive field work and laboratory experimentation
- Experience with carbon stock and cycling in coastal wetland ecosystems
- Field work experience and ability to maintain and calibrate scientific equipment
- Demonstrated publication record in the field in high impact journals
- Basic skills and experience with presentations and workshops with end users.
JCU-level stipend of : $29,863.00 ( 2023 RTP base rate) per annum for 3.5 years, full-time study.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae, a copy of your academic record, and a 2-page cover letter outlining your research goals and experience relevant to the research topic (as per contact details below).
Applicants must meet the JCU’s HDR admission requirements if not already enrolled
Closing date: 01/10/2022