Northern Australia Science Consultant - [Archived Advertisement]
Northern Australia Science Consultant
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Pivotal role driving research in the environment, water resources, Indigenous economic development, agriculture, and energy
- Help foster sustainable economic development in Northern Australia
- Collaborative, flexible, innovative workplace that values you and your career development
CSIRO’s Environment Business Unit brings together our capabilities in marine, atmospheric, water and terrestrial environment disciplines, as well as significant social and economic research, to align and support the nation in creating a better and more sustainable future.
We collaborate with experts from across CSIRO in National Collections & Marine Infrastructure, Health & Biosecurity, Agriculture & Food , Energy, Data61, other Business Units and Enterprise Services across CSIRO to further underpin our research portfolio. We also work closely with other publicly funded research agencies, the universities , industry and communities to deliver impactful science.
Our research in Northern Australia includes the development of tools and technologies to support government, industry and communities to realise a sustainable Australian environment where biodiversity flourishes, ecosystems function and adapt, and ecosystem services provide for the needs of future generations.
As the Northern Australia Science Consultant, you will provide leadership in business development and project delivery to support CSIRO’s Northern Australia activities in areas such as water resources assessments, Darwin Living Lab, Northern Australia Agriculture Futures, and emerging work in circular economy, energy, regional economic transformation, Indigenous economic development and waste management. You will be focused on addressing the emerging sustainable development challenges and opportunities in Northern Australia.
Your duties will include:
- Seeking, developing and advocating collaborative research, development and commercialisation initiatives to address emerging sustainable development challenges and opportunities in Northern Australia, with particular regard to the energy and agricultural sectors.
- Leading initiatives for the transfer of new technology with industry and communities.
- Identifying and influencing critical stakeholders, building on existing strong linkages with industry, government and other research providers in Northern Australia.
- Initiating and developing/innovating project plans in consultation with clients.
- Applying specialist expertise to the solution of complex problems within and across disciplines and projects.
- Establishing and directing research capability, conducting long-term science capability planning and deployment to support the delivery of quality research with impact, including forecasting demand, monitoring science trends, and building a high-performance culture.
Location: Darwin, NT
Salary: AU$146,207 - AU$161,767 + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in subject areas relevant to water resources, regional economic transformation, energy, waste management or sustainable development, and significant experience and depth of understanding of science from a research or industry perspective.
- Demonstrated experience identifying, developing and leading large research projects and/or commercial opportunities.
- A track record of engaging with external stakeholders and leading initiatives with industry and community.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new networks and maintain existing relationships to further collaborations.
- Evidence of effective communication with both internal and external stakeholders.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
This position is open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Friday 21st April 2023 AEST.
- Closing Date:
- 21 Apr 2023
- NT - Darwin
- AU$146,207 - AU$161,767 + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Environmental Science/Earth Science
Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD)