Digital Agronomist - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring your experience in field-based agronomic experimentation in cropping to work
- Application of digital agricultural principles and practices to improve crop management
- Supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment
CSIRO Agriculture and Food’s research from gene to plate increases productivity and efficiencies at the farm level, improving the quality and yield of Australian crops, developing innovative food processing technologies, creating new value-added foods, and growing the nation’s livestock, aquaculture and fishery industries. We have a diverse range of people and partnerships that span Australia and 25 countries, fostering a shared vision to create measurable economic, environmental and social impact. You’ll be a part of CSIRO Systems Program that works in partnership with rural industries, communities, and governments to deliver improvements in agricultural productivity and profitability whilst minimising environmental damage.
As Digital Agronomist, you’ll be joining the team involving on-farm agronomic experimentation in southern Australia to investigate the impacts of a range of innovative crop management strategies to improve productivity and input-use efficiency. A specific role for the new appointment will be to develop and apply digital agriculture principles within the portfolio of relevant CSIRO activities at both experimental and farm scales, including at Boorowa Agricultural Research Station (BARS) in southern NSW.
Your duties will include:
- Liaising with clients to determine their needs and taking personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Assisting in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Presenting results in a meaningful format, preparing reports for clients, delivering presentations to formal and informal scientific audiences, and writing scientific papers for publication.
- Addressing problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, and preparing detailed design proposals and research protocols.
- Supervising and/or training others to ensure activities are conducted in accordance with research design, or as required.
- Using professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience to recognise opportunities for innovation and generate new theoretical perspectives by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with scientific colleagues across a range of disciplines.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: Band 5 AUD $105k – AUD $114k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Band 6 AU $121k – AUD $142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation (candidate will be appointed at the 5 or 6 band based on their skills/experience)
Tenure: Specified term of up to 36 months / Full time
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent research experience) in a relevant field such as farming systems agronomy, crop/pasture physiology, soil science, natural resource management or similar.
- Experience with field-based agronomic experiments in cropping systems investigating aspects of soil-plant interactions underpinning productivity and resource use efficiency.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the application of digital agricultural principles and practices directed at agronomic and/or farming systems research.
- Demonstrated success in gaining support for funded research projects and proven capacity to collaborate with growers, industry partners and research providers.
- A current Class C drivers’ licence and a willingness to travel regularly to regional and interstate meetings with collaborating scientists and industry partners as required.
- A significant record of innovation and creativity in applying science to agricultural productivity improvements with demonstrated industry impact.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, evidenced by high-level reporting, presentation and negotiation abilities, scientific publication and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for innovative project ideas.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens; Australian Permanent Residents and/or Australian Temporary Residents, as well as overseas applicants. Sponsorship may be provided by CSIRO to the eligible candidate if required.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements such as a pre-employment medical.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
5th February 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 05 Feb 2023
- ACT - Canberra
- AUD $105k - AUD $142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Natural Resource Management
Plant Biology/Crop Physiology