Environment Communication Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Environment Communication Manager
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join team CSIRO and make the Impossible possible!
- Drive the positive positioning of CSIRO through strong media relations strategies
- Provide strategic counsel for senior leaders across the breadth of internal and external channels on complex issues
We seek a talented Communication Manager to drive the public relations program for CSIRO’s work across Environment Business Unit (BU) which is wholly dedicated to addressing current and future environmental challenges that face Australia.
Reporting into the Executive Manager, Corporate Affairs, you will manage a small team of communication advisors within CSIRO’s Corporate Affairs to execute a comprehensive communication program for CSIRO’s research across a diverse range of complex environmental issues. This includes but is not limited to the Great Barrier Reef, climate resilience, sustainable industries, urban research, terrestrial water management, atmospheric and ocean research as well as the social and economic dimensions of these issues.
As the Environment Communication Manager, you will develop, lead, implement and evaluate communication and engagement activity of strategic significance to CSIRO, with an emphasis on supporting impartial science impact delivered by the Environment BU.
You will be adept at working in complex environments and have a proven record in stakeholder and issues management, strong judgement, the ability to manage competing priorities, and strong interpersonal skills.
If you’re ready to lead by example and take ownership to drive our strategic communication activity to the next level this may be the role you have been waiting for. Why delay, apply now!
Your duties will include:
- Partner with and contribute to the Environment business unit leadership team and others to develop, deliver and evaluate communication strategies that align with both the BU strategy and the Corporate Affairs strategy.
- Identify and manage issues in conjunction with the Executive Manager, including planning, messaging and mitigation.
- Liaise with media to identify and develop compelling stories about CSIRO science.
- Initiate, develop or commission strong content for use in digital or media to illustrate CSIRO science and impact - focusing on it being relevant, engaging and accessible.
- Identify and develop opportunities for partnering, sponsorships or events to reach key audiences.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the team's communication activities including contribution to awareness, knowledge and understanding of CSIRO.
- Identify critical internal and external stakeholders and establish networks to gain support for communication activities, particularly innovative ones that will have maximum impact.
- Demonstrate flexible thinking and adapt to and manage the increasing rate of organisational change by adjusting strategies, goals and priorities; and assess the risk and opportunity of identified strategies, options and actions.
- Act and/or represent the Executive Manager, Corporate Affairs as required, in both internal and external forums.
- Develop and contribute to a cohesive, collaborative, innovative CA leadership team, ensuring seamless and proactive connection between all areas of CA - modelling desired culture and empowering high-level delivery.
- Build and maintain team-focused relationships across all areas of the Corporate Affairs team, sharing knowledge and working together in pursuit of the development and promotion of best practice communication management.
- Build and lead a high performing team including responsibility for professional development and individual and team performance through coaching, counselling, feedback and influencing and motivating individuals and teams.
Location: Open to location in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra and Perth
Salary: AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 Months
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant experience in leadership and management within large or complex organisations.
- Demonstrated communication management experience in a complex business encompassing:
- Strategic planning and implementation, calculating risk, problem solving, effective team and budget management.
- Producing creative communication strategies delivered through multiple channels.
- Delivery of high-profile communication campaigns resulting in widespread national media coverage, stakeholder engagement and client satisfaction.
- Demonstrated experience assessing the risk and opportunities of identified strategies, options and actions and ability to overcome setbacks to achieve organisation-wide goals.
- Experience in issues management, stakeholder engagement and contemporary communication practices to achieve positive outcomes.
- Experience in managing and leading a high performing team, with a particular focus on instilling creativity and visionary thinking among team members, ensuring high standards of service delivery as well as technical output.
- Relevant tertiary qualification and seven plus years of relevant experience
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
9 January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 09 Jan 2023
- AU$121,455 - AU$142,321 pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Communications and Community Engagement