Agriculture Value Chain Development Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
Agriculture Value Chain Development Scientist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Be in the forefront of impact-led research for development
- Bring your expertise agribusiness management sciences
- Join CSIRO Agriculture and Food and make a difference!
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations that delivers world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context.
Agriculture and Food (A&F) is CSIRO’s largest research business unit (BU). We apply world class multidisciplinary science, technology and facilities, IP and global networks across the value chain to create healthier, trusted, safer and more sustainable food and fibre for the future.
As the Value Chain Development Scientist, working as part of CSIRO’s Sustainability Program, you will be embedded in a dynamic team of agriculture and food systems scientists and will collaborate with a range of Australian and international organisations in addressing the global food security agenda.
You will be working in multi-disciplinary project teams with a primary role of conducting value chain assessments for a range economic, environmental and social priorities. The role will require significant engagement with the private sector, including farmers, SMEs and large corporations, and will be working with academic, non-government and public sector partners in a range of research for development (R4D) projects in Australia and the Indo-Pacific. You will have the opportunity to develop, lead and carry out innovative projects aligned with CSIRO’s strategies, and to supervise early career researchers. This role is a key contributor CSIRO’s Secure Food Systems and Trusted Supply Chains agenda which will develop critical network and engagement pathways through agribusinesses and other private sector partners.
This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Your duties will include:
- Contribute to the development of novel methods, frameworks and interventions that contribute to sustainable and inclusive value chains in Australia and internationally.
- Draw on professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience, recognise opportunities for innovation and generate new theoretical perspectives by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with scientific colleagues across a range of disciplines.
- Work with industry and commercial stakeholders to ensure effective outcomes and adoption of sustainable solutions.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Supervise and mentor early career researchers.
- Engage internal and external clients and partners to develop and secure funding
- Participate in identification of further opportunities which arise from research and initiate new lines of research.
- Other duties as directed.
Locations: Brisbane preferred, Canberra or Adelaide considered.
Salary: AU$105k – AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
1. A relevant doctorate in agribusiness management, agricultural economics, social sciences and/or related disciplines and a minimum of five years post-PhD research and practice experience in a related field.
2. Demonstrated expertise in value chain analysis and management sciences, with proven experience in design and implementation of qualitative research methods (data collection, analysis and reporting) as applied to agriculture, value chains and/or business research.
3. Demonstrated experience in engaging directly with the private sector in areas of sustainability, climate resilience, inclusive business and triple-bottom line approaches
4. Track record in international research for development, particularly in Asia and the Pacific.
5. Track record of effectively leading and managing multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research teams, and carrying out independent individual research with critical reflection, to achieve organisational goals.
6. Willingness to undertake regular overseas travel (4 to 5 times a year)
1. Experience in research involving social inclusion, gender studies, climate risk exposure and adaptation and community development as dimensions of agriculture for sustainable development
2. Knowledge of agribusiness processes and agricultural market dynamics, demonstrated by experience
3. Expertise in mixed methods approaches and quantitative research approaches as applied to value chains assessments
4. Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative, and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
5. Evidence of an ability to recognise opportunities for innovation and develop new ideas and approaches
6. Strong English written and oral communication skills including the ability to publish research results, prepare reports and present the results of scientific investigations at national and international conferences and stakeholder meetings
For full details about this role please view the Position Description.
Applications are open to Australian / New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and International applicants.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 January 2023, 11:00 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 20 Jan 2023
- AU$105k – AU$142k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: