Research Scientist in Ecological Causal Modelling
Research Scientist in Ecological Causal Modelling
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Develop environmental health indicators and causative models in environmental assessment and management
- Utilise ‘omics derived environmental health indicators in environmental monitoring and assessment
- Join CSIRO! A truly collaborative, flexible and inclusive workplace
Understanding our oceans, coasts, climate and atmosphere is fundamental to Australia's sustainable development and prosperity. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere undertakes science to ensure a healthy coastal and marine ecosystem and atmospheric environment now and into the future.
As the Research Scientist in Ecological Causal Modelling, you will conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. Joining the Environmental Indicators research team, this position will make independent and collaborative contributions to the development of new ideas in environmental assessment and management, through the development of environmental health indicators and causative models.
You will carry out world-class research to advance the utilisation of ‘omics derived environmental health indicators in environmental monitoring and assessment, develop causative inference models to better understand environmental health trajectories and outcomes and develop frameworks to operationalise their uptake.
Your duties will include:
- Help lead the initiation, design, and execution of multi-omic assessments of environmental health status.
- Contribute to the development of environmental bioindicators and models to explain environmental health trajectories.
- Work in close collaboration with state environmental regulators and other stakeholders to maximise research impact.
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Under the supervision of more senior researchers, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Undertake experimental and/or observational research activities and supervise/train others to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design.
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Salary: AU$102k – AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until June 30, 2025
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in a relevant field, such as causal modelling, environmental genomics.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- High-level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally to a broad range of audiences, including non-experts.
- Knowledge of and experience with causal inference models.
- Knowledge of ecological data types, including DNA-based data.
- Familiarity with concepts of environmental health indicators and their application.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
This role will remain open until filled. We encourage you to submit an application early to avoid missing out on the opportunity as we reserve the right to withdraw the advert early if we find a suitable candidate.
- TAS - Hobart
- AU$102k – AU$111k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Ecological Modelling/Quantitative Ecology
Environmental Science/Earth Science