Research Scientist - Hydrogeologist/Hydrogeochemist
Research Scientist - Hydrogeologist/Hydrogeochemist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Key role for early career Scientist in Hydrogeological/Hydrogeochemistry research
- Contribute to water security across a range of research areas
- Join CSIRO Land and Water and make a difference!
The CSIRO Land and Water Business Unit is seeking a motivated Research Scientist Hydrogeologist/Hydrogeochemist to join the Sustainable Groundwater Futures team.
The role of Research Scientist Staff is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. You may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership, and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
To be successful you will be an early career researcher who will further develop Hydrogeology and Hydrogeochemistry research demands in Water Security and in regional groundwater resource characterization and assessment. This is particularly so in the context of resource developments and changing climatic conditions. This capability integrates skills across geology, hydrogeology, hydrogeochemical evolution at large scale, and hydrochemical and environmental tracer data analysis to address relevant groundwater management challenges.
Your duties will include:
- Supporting and conducting research into the fundamental hydrogeological and hydrogeochemical processes that occur during water-rock interactions; groundwater flow and solute transport models to develop frameworks for a multitude of groundwater processes in subsurface.
- Applying innovative research on groundwater recharge, inter-aquifer leakage and groundwater-surface water exchanges via combination of geological and hydrogeological knowledge supported by analysis of hydrochemical and environmental tracer data.
- Developing creative and innovative approaches and ideas to enhance the value of hydrogeochemistry to identify and characterise new water sources, inter-aquifer/aquitard connectivity, and definition of flowpaths in heterogeneous subsurface.
- Studying hydrogeochemical processes that control the movement of contaminants released by human activities (e.g. mining, disposal of radioactive waste) through integration of geological and geochemical assessments.
- Conducting targeted field investigations to characterize groundwater and surface water systems across different settings in Australia.
Location: Brisbane (Dutton Park) QLD
Salary: AU$102k to AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in a relevant field such as geology, hydrogeology, groundwater hydrology, environmental science, or other relevant geo-science domain.
- Demonstrated 3-5 years of experience in hydrogeological characterisation using multiple lines of evidence including hydrogeochemical and environmental tracer data analysis, groundwater resources assessment, groundwater hydrology, surface water-groundwater system evaluation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills coupled with the ability to present results of scientific investigations at national/international conferences and stakeholder meetings.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, conference proceedings, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research group, and carry out independent individual research to achieve organisational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A driver’s licence.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to all candidates. Visa sponsorship will be provided if required.
Appointment to this role may be subject to conditions including provision of a national police check as well as other security/medical/character clearance requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday 9th June 2022, 11:00pm AEST.
- Closing Date:
- 09 Jun 2022
- QLD - Dutton Park
- AU$102k to AU$111k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time
Environmental Science/Earth Science