Climate Assessment Analyst - [Archived Advertisement]
Climate Assessment Analyst
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a thorough understanding of fundamental concepts in climate change and projections science?
- Be a part of the Climate Resilient Enterprise within the CSIRO Climate Science Centre
- Create a dynamic career path in this exciting role
CSIRO’s Climate Resilient Enterprise (CRE) has been established to assist Australian industry manage impacts and risks from a changing climate, whilst identifying adaptation and transition options to inform their climate actions and investments.
CRE will initially focus on Australian companies and later expand to companies in our region, helping them to disclose, adapt and transition in response to climate risk. CRE focusses on solving problems associated with long term physical and transitional climate risk, that is > 5-year timeframes. CRE will develop solutions to these problems in a collaborative environment with regulators, customers, and suppliers. CRE may also work to productise some of these solutions and make these available as products on a commercially owned and operated climate intelligence platform.
As the Climate Assessment Analyst, you will use your broad range of skills in climate science and have an understanding of climate projections, hazards and impacts to work in partnership with Australian companies to improve their use of climate information and analytics. You will have excellent communication skills and be able to explain complex concepts around projections, uncertainty and compound risk to customers and partners.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More detail around the difference between the two levels will be discussed at interview stage.
Your duties will include:
- Applying climate projections to real-world applications, including data processing but also scientific assessments of these projections in partnership with Australian companies and relevant research groups.
- Coupling climate projections, assessments, and hazard/impact insights (from appropriate sources, including original work) across physical and transition risk scenarios, including where appropriate via access to commercially sensitive information of commercial partners.
- Articulating customer problems and assist in translating these problems into climate science needs, then translate the climate science output back into terms that make sense to the customer, and that provide the essential scientific credibility needed for successful impact.
- Providing advice and support to other research teams in CSIRO around methodologies and approaches for identifying solutions that Australian companies might find of value. Join and participate in relevant ‘communities of practice’ in analysis and communication.
- Working with product development teams and tech providers to contribute/input to climate risk product build, and work with development and research teams during design/build phases of these products.
- Building trust-based and collegial relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders and encourage cross-project business collaboration, including representing CSIRO in public forums, with industry, the research sector or with Government.
Location: Canberra, ACT, Melbourne, VIC, or Hobart, TAS
Salary: CSOF5: AU$102k to AU$111k pa + up to 15.4% super; CSOF6: AU$117k to AU$138k pa + up to 15.4% super
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate
Tenure: Specified Term of 2 Years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as climate science, or deep climate aligned expertise in agriculture, environmental science or a similar field
- Thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts in climate change and projections science, including the limitations and biases involved, and sound judgment in capturing value within limits of uncertainty.
- Demonstrated track record in climate science, climate projection generation/interpretation and assessments, and translating this research to meet market needs.
- Deep knowledge and skills around new approaches to climate risk, uncertainty and the interplay of physical and transition risk.
- Demonstrated experience in scripting and programming using Python in collaborative environments such as Pangea and GitHub, Demonstrated experience with quality assurance and curation of large datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and manage significant issues, often in ambiguous situations, by evaluating and interpreting complex information, identifying key problems and user-needs, and developing creative solutions and contingencies.
- Demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Additional criteria listed in the position description to be appointed at the higher level.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
16 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 16 Jan 2022
- CSOF5: AU$102k to AU$111k pa ; CSOF6: AU$117k to AU$138k pa + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
Climate Change/Climate Science
Environmental Science/Earth Science