- Contribute to the the future health of Australia's livestock and wildlife species.
- Be part of a multidisciplinary team and provide technical support to interesting projects with real-world impact!
- Join CSIRO's Australian Animal Health Laboratory and make a difference!
CSIRO's Australian Animal Health Lababoratory (AAHL) is seeking a motivated and suitably experienced Animal Technician to support the capability for use of animals for research purposes within its microbiologically secure containment facility. The Large Animal Facility (LAF) supports AAHL's Emergency Disease Response and research obligations. In this role you will join the LAF team of of highly trained technical staff that contribute to various animal research projects. The demands of the work are at Biocontainment levels BSL3 & BSL4 and requires professional and team oriented people to ensure the best possible outcomes for the research, animal and staff welfare.
As the Animal Technician you will have responsibilities which include provision of animal husbandry, collection of samples from infected research animals, data collection and storage, liaising with scientists and veterinarians, promotion of animal welfare and development of quality assurance systems. This work takes place in the microbiological containment facility and there is a particular focus on zoonotic diseases.
If successful, you will be required to and undertake a pre-employment medical and psychological assessment, and be vaccinated against various diseases. You must also be willing and able to meet AAHL’s microbiological security and security assessment requirements.
More specifically you will:
Apply knowledge of animal husbandry and behaviour in your day-to-day activities.
Provide technical assistance to research activities involving animals within the microbiologically collection of biological samples such as blood and tissues form animals carrying infectious contained facility at CSIRO AAHL. Duties include conducting animal husbandry procedures and diseases.
Improve animal welfare through innovation, astute observation, promotion of animal welfare principles and compliance with animal ethics committee approved protocols and facility policies.
Undertake animal studies work under a compliance framework ensuring Animal Ethics Committee protocols and policies are adhered to. Provide advice to scientific staff about animal welfare and ethical standards for AEC applications.
Perform manual labour such as lifting heavy items and other physically demanding tasks.
Location: AAHL, Geelong, VIC
Salary: $63K - $80K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Job reference: 58959
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelor of Animal related science or Agriculture, or a Diploma Qualification with demonstrated relevant experience in animal husbandry and animal behaviour.
- Ability and willingness to comply with AAHL microbiological and security requirements.
- Experience with husbandry and handling a broad range of species such as domestic livestock, laboratory animals and/or wildlife.
- Demonstrated competence in routine husbandry and management procedures in a veterinary or medical research or diagnostic facility, or on a farm.
- Willingness to work with animals infected with serious zoonotic disease agents, following appropriate training including the wearing of personal protective equipment including biocontainment suits.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and understand the purpose of such records in a research and diagnostic facility.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively and harmoniously in a team, with an understanding the basis of a successful team, and also an ability to work independently towards team goals.
- A flexible approach to be available as part of the team roster for weekend and at times after hours work.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes, maintaining the highest welfare standards.
Before you apply please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish
Who we are:
At CSIRO we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more here! Balance
How to apply:
If you wish to apply for this position, please upload your cover letter and CV/resume that best demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements of the role.
Applications close: Open until filled
Note: This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not re-apply.