- Looking for a postdoctoral fellowship to help launch your science career?
- Work on a project focussing on designing & processing protein and fibre profiles & structures
- Join the CSIRO Agriculture & Food team for this exciting postdoctoral fellowship
This position is for up to 24 months and will work closely with leading Research Scientists in their respective field. The postdoc will carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. Findings will be presented in appropriate publications and at conferences.
In particular, this project will focus on designing and processing protein and fibre profiles and structures from grains and legumes to increase the production of beneficial metabolites when the food travels through the human digestive tract. The impact of beneficial metabolites on markers of low grade inflammation, and the role of lignin in directing the rate and yield of starch fermentation products and growth of gut microbiota in in-vitro human colon models is of particular interest.
Your duties will include:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Producing quality research in the area of healthy cereal and legume ingredients and foods.
- Developing protein and fibre profiles (fractions) with improved digestibility.
- Investigating the role of minor food components, their composition and structure and effects on upper and lower gut digestibility using digestive tract models including colon metabolic models.
- Undertaking regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
Location: Werribee, Victoria
Salary: $82k to $93k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
Ref no: 58392
To be successful you will have:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as (but not limited to) food chemistry, biochemistry, plant physiology, molecular biochemistry, microbiology. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- Strong background in food chemistry or equivalent. Strong background in food or plant component separation and biochemistry or molecular biology or equivalent.
- Experience or knowledge of extraction and fractionation of plant components.
- The ability to formulate a research hypothesis and design and execute experiments to prove the hypothesis.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Applications Close: 10:59pm AEDT, 31 October 2018.