CSIRO Agriculture & Food's Cotton Biotechnology Group is seeking a motivated laboratory research assistant to work as part of a small team in the cotton breeding area. In this exciting role, you will be involved in tracking commercial GM insect and herbicide traits, as well as a number of non-GM disease and agronomic traits through early generation breeding populations, using a variety of molecular assays.
Your commitment to working safely in a laboratory environment, excellent communication skills and strong work ethic will be critical to your success in this role.
Your duties will include:
- Under supervision, performing a wide range of laboratory duties including high volumes of sample preparation for antibody based assays of leaf or seed material and extracting DNA from leaf punches, freeze dried leaves or seed extracts.
- Assisting with the production of GM cotton plants using Agrobacterium mediated transformation of cotton explants through transfers of cultures between different media and the selection and germination of transformed embryos to produce transgenic plantlets.
- Caring for GM and non-GM plants in the glasshouse.
Location: Canberra (Black Mountain) ACT
Salary: $45k to $59k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Job reference: 58229
To be successful, you will need:
- Relevant Certificate/ Diploma or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience of working safely in a scientific laboratory following health and safety guidelines including familiarity in the use of basic laboratory equipment.
- A history of being organised, meticulous and thorough when carrying out large volumes of repetitive tasks and keeping careful records of experimental work spanning long periods of time including basic computer skills for data entry and analysis.
- A willingness to work in diverse scientific projects and laboratory areas and contributing to the maintenance of communal laboratory equipment, consumables, work areas and work procedures.
Before you apply, please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please apply for this position online at https://jobs.csiro.au/ and enter requisition number 58229. You will be required to upload one document only containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter, outlining your motivation and suitability for the role.
Applications close: Tuesday, 28th August 2018
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.