About the Environment & Waste Department
This department is part of our City Services Division, and is responsible for building a sustainable City through the facilitation, promotion and adoption of a proactive approach in the use of our natural resources. The department also looks after the City's waste management program including the operation of our landfills, transfer stations and resource recovery centres.
About the role
This position will lead the establishment and operations of Council’s green organics processing facility.
- Role model and promote Council values in all aspects of duty.
- Provide leadership in all aspects of the green organics composting operations to ensure the Facility operates efficiently, cost effectively and safely.
- Prior to opening of the Facility prepare procedures, plans and guidelines as required.
- Work in consultation with other interested and involved parties to identify opportunities for compost use and assist in building a sustainable end product market.
- Supervise contractors and contracted staff as well as Council staff in the day-to-day delivery of the green organics composting services, in relation to process, practice, compliance and reporting requirements and customer service.
- Ensure adherence to targets and performance indicators and adherence to internal and external reporting requirements.
- Develop and oversee implementation of solutions to complex issues relating to the operation of the Facility and the composting business.
- Provide leadership and support to direct reports, contractors and Council staff utilised in the operation of the Facility.
Key selection criteria
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and proven experience in the successful operation of a large scale composting facility or similar (e.g. landfill) OR extensive proven experience in the successful operation of a large scale composting facility or similar. Experience must include management of plant and equipment and supervision of staff and contractors.
- Demonstrated people management and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the application of relevant legislation, policy, guidelines and standards related to waste management services and in particular to green organics composting.
- Highly developed analytical and investigative skills to enable the development of solutions to problems and opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to policy development and designing and implementing systems, procedures and guidelines.
- Experience in financial and resource management and budget performance.
About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Stephen Adams | 03 5272 4863 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 8 December 2017.