Cultural Heritage Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Royal Commission for AlUla (View other jobs from this organisation)
Cultural Heritage Impact Assessor – Cultural Heritage Officer
The Royal Commission for AlUla (RCU) is seeking a qualified cultural resources manager/cultural heritage officer with experience in the professional contract sector and development field.
The successful candidate will be expected to relocate to Saudi Arabia and will be based in AlUla.
Major responsibilities of the job include:
- Assess planning applications for building and infrastructure developments and recommend actions involving desk-based assessments, site visits and site investigations.
- Work closely with RCU’s Development and Planning divisions and other RCU departments.
- Assess and comment on proposed visitor activities and events at cultural heritage sites in AlUla.
- Produce Archaeological Impact Assessments and contribute to Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Identify, evaluate and record sites using photography, aerial/satellite photography, geophysical surveys, test trenches, etc; and collection and study of surface finds.
- Collect, analyse and interpret data.
- Produce, compile and maintain written, photographic and drawn records and electronic databases.
- Support the Cultural Heritage Conservation team in preparing measures for mitigating potential damage to cultural heritage assets and carry out monitoring during implementation of development projects.
- Advance the level of the technical expertise and performance of the Cultural Heritage Conservation team.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Write reports for various departments in RCU, as needed.
The main objectives of the job include:
- Ensure proposed development projects and cultural heritage site activities are assessed and evaluated according to internationally accepted standards and procedures.
- Support in the development of strategies, guidelines and policies related to the protection of cultural heritage assets of AlUla.
- Support the development of RCU as an organization of best practice with regards to cultural heritage conservation and champion excellence and innovation in the field.
The post holder will assume a hands-on role, working 5 days per week with some weekend and evening work expected. Working relationships outside RCU will include:
- Members of KSA educational institutions.
- Local and international organizations who may partner or be of support to RCU’s aims and operations.
- A Masters or higher in Cultural Heritage/Resources Management, Archaeology or related field.
- Significant experience with working practices in the heritage field and managing archaeological projects in the professional contract sector.
- Experience managing staff and the ability to develop, train and motivate a team.
- Ability to manage stakeholder relationships.
- Knowledge of GIS, CAD and cultural heritage recording databases.
- Practical approach to problem solving.
- Flexibility and ability to respond to challenges in a fast-changing environment.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English
- Experience working in the MENA region
- Good spoken Arabic.
Send application to: email@example.com
Salary: AUD$12,000-15,000/month + transport and accommodation allowance, bonuses, health insurance, annual plane ticket to home country, 40 days holidays, etc. (Note: Salary will be paid in Saudi Riyals)
- International - Saudi Arabia
- AUD$12,000-15,000/p/mth + transport and accommodation allowance, bonuses, health insurance + annual ticket home
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Natural Resource Management