Legal Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of the Environment and Energy (View other jobs from this organisation)
APS 3 – APS 6
Ongoing & Non-Ongoing
The Organisation and the Team
The Department of Environment & Energy designs and implements Australian Government policy and programs to protect and conserve the environment, water and heritage, promote climate action, and provide adequate, reliable and affordable energy.
The General Counsel Branch is responsible for coordination, oversight and management of legal advice, policy input and support for the Department.
The General Counsel Branch has two sections, each of which has primary responsibility for specific functions and/or Divisions within the Department. Each section is co-managed by two Principal Legal Officers and includes Senior Legal Officers and Legal Officers. Alongside the legal functions, we are also responsible for legislation and FOI coordination and management, as well as supporting regulatory maturity.
The duties for the position include providing high quality legal advice on a broad range of issues, undertaking research and analysis of legal issues and assist in managing litigation.
This is a great opportunity to work closely with other legal professionals, in a co-managed team across a diverse and interesting in-house practice.
The Ideal Candidate/Skills & Experience
- Some experience of legal practice and hold a degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution.
- Proven skills, or ability to rapidly acquire skills, in providing high quality legal advice in a diverse range of contexts; and specifically:
- regulatory law and, preferably, knowledge of and experience in government legal issues, including administrative law, statutory interpretation, FOI and government contracting and procurement, and litigation.
- proven skills in strategic thinking and judgement, clear and accurate communication, the ability the build and maintain relationships.
- To be eligible for any position in the Department you must be an Australian Citizen.
- You must undergo and satisfy a National Police History Check
The Department offers an attractive remuneration package, including salary, superannuation benefits and flexible working conditions appropriate to the level of the position. For further details, refer to the Enterprise Agreement at http://www.environment.gov.au/about-us/employment/enterprise-agreement-2016-2019
How to apply:
- To apply visit the Department’s online recruitment system at: http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/about-us/employment
- Your responses to the selection criteria and should be no more than 350 words per criterion
- An up-to-date resume including the contact details of two referees is required.
- Information for applicants with disabilities: www.environment.gov.au/about/jobs/applicants-with-disabilities.html
To obtain more information about the position please contact Melanie McIntyre on (02) 6274 2132 firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: 11.30PM (AEST) on 16 April 2019.
The Department of Environment and Energy values social and cultural diversity and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment.
- Closing Date:
- 16 Apr 2019
- ACT - Canberra
- Work Type:
- Full Time
- APS Classification:
APS Level 3
APS Level 4
APS Level 5
APS Level 6