Senior Research Scientist
Agriculture Victoria Research Division (View other jobs from this organisation)
The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) is the Victorian Government’s lead agency for creating the conditions to sustainably develop the Victorian economy and grow employment. Our role is to increase jobs, investment, exports and opportunities; stimulate innovation, competitiveness, and confidence; and support sustainability.
The Department is committed to building a culture where we say 'yes' to flexible work arrangements, and support ways of working that help employees balance work and home life. The Department is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
The Department strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The Department offers reasonable adjustments for applicants with disabilities on request.
SENIOR RESEARCH SCIENTIST
- $116,863 – $156,387 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term, 3 years
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Ellinbank (flexibility may be available)
Your focus in this position will be research activities that aim to improve the profitability of pasture based dairy systems. This will be achieved through innovative research and science excellence, supported by technical efficiency, business processes, technology adoption and knowledge management.
The emphasis of your role will be to –
- attract industry funding for applied dairy cow research and developing strategic research programs;
- manage, lead and supervise research scientists and post graduate students;
- lead project design and development;
- oversee budget management, delivery of project milestones, and manage assets and scientific equipment; and
- develop, lead and undertake innovative research while providing science expertise and making a strong contribution to the science achievement of the platform.
As the successful candidate, you will demonstrate –
- a PhD in agronomy and/or the application of sensor technologies in agriculture;
- high level knowledge of non-destructive sensor technologies in agricultural production systems;
- research experience in agronomy and/or the application of sensor technologies in agricultural systems;
- ability to design and develop projects, attract funding and effectively lead multi-disciplinary research project teams;
- a significant record of publication of scientific work in science journals and at science conferences, plus the ability to present research results to a range of audiences;
- a high level of communication and interpersonal ability, with well-developed skills in negotiation and provision of advice; and
- ability to effectively supervise and develop staff, preferably with some experience in postgraduate student supervision.
The preferred location of Ellinbank is situated in the rolling foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, within an hour’s drive of Victoria’s capital. The area offers excellent facilities, schooling and recreational options, plus affordable housing. DEDJTR is a flexible employer however, and the right candidate could be accommodated at an alternative location.
The position of Senior Research Scientist is part of the Animal Production Sciences Branch in the Agriculture Victoria Research Division of the Employment, Investment and Trade Group.
The Employment, Investment and Trade Group delivers programs and services to grow the Victorian economy. Its focus is on creating jobs and raising incomes through industry development, targeted investment and increasing the export value of Victorian firms.
For a confidential discussion, please call Joe Jacobs, Principal Scientist – Dairy, on 03 5624 2205 or 0427 947 692.
For further information on the position, please see the attached position description. To apply, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.
Applications close at midnight on 20 November 2018 and must address the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
- Closing Date:
- 20 Nov 2018
- VIC - Ellinbank
- $116,863 - $156,387 (Plus Superannuation)
- Work Type:
- Full Time