Lead strategies, projects and programs to embed, enrich and empower Aboriginal culture, heritage and knowledge in our city’s future
Senior Officer Contract up to 3 years
This opportunity has been dedicated to identified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants under the Affirmative Measure - Indigenous employment. This special measure recognises the importance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander representation to advise Council on the views and interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the municipality.
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
Reporting to the Director City Communities, you will be responsible for designing, building, leading and implementing key strategic initiatives and projects that support and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and cultures in the City of Melbourne.
This newly created role will provide leadership to the organisation to develop and deliver key initiatives – strategies, projects and programs for the City of Melbourne’s communities. You will partner with both internal and external stakeholders including Councillors, Government representatives, Traditional Owner Groups, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Organisations and members of the public.
To be considered for this position you will be able to demonstrate constructive people leadership qualities, model outstanding influencing skills through the development of trust and sustainability of genuine relationships.
Your strong, authentic people leader qualities will also be imperative to ensure the development and building of a highly engaged team; while focusing on customer and community outcomes.
Your ability to navigate through a complex and political business environment will be critical to ensure the success of this business area.
This position is offered under a Senior Officer Contract up to three years.
As our ideal candidate, you can bring… (Selection criteria) –
- An ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Qualifications in a relevant degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture and the ability to communicate effectively with Traditional Owner Groups and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Demonstrated understanding of the roles of the three levels of government in Aboriginal affairs
- Significant experience and proven ability to engage with Melbourne based Aboriginal organisations, communities and individuals to foster productive and harmonious working relationships
- Significant experience in implementing cultural protocols and providing cultural expertise within a large organisation
- Demonstrated skills and experience in leading teams to develop and deliver strategies, projects and programs that strengthen Aboriginal communities
- Proven ability to manage effectively through ambiguity to achieve strategic outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and implement strategic plans and programs and to affect high level stakeholder and organisational buy-in
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and maintain business plans, programs, policies and associated resources, communications, governance, budgetary and financial management requirements
- Demonstrated experience in actively building a high performing team that is customer focused, collaborative, professional, engaged and based on trust
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal including the ability to prepare comprehensive reports and make recommendations
To view the position description and physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter (no more than one page)
- respond to the selection criteria, in a separate document (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Eamonn Fennessy, (Acting) Director City Communities
The advertised closing date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander people are preferred to apply under section 89 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (the Act).
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.