We are NSW’s bulk water supplier, river operator and your one-stop shop for licensing, water trades and water information. We supply two thirds of water used in NSW from our 42 dams, rivers and pipelines to regional towns, irrigators, Sydney Water and local water utilities. We also own and operate the largest surface and groundwater monitoring network in the southern hemisphere and build, maintain and operate essential infrastructure.
As a Geospatial Engineer, the key role is to provide monitoring surveying capability that will ensure efficient and effective delivery of dam and structural movement monitoring surveys; conduct other surveying and spatial related tasks for our internal customers, whilst maintaining a focus on safety first. You will also lead the usage of complementary survey techniques and technologies to undertake surveys of minor dams and structures; process, validate, analyse and present reports from survey field data.
This is a permanent full time role, reports to the Geospatial Technology and Services Manager in our Assets Team.
Key responsibilities also include:
- Provide field and technical support services to enable the timely delivery of dam and structural movement monitoring surveys and other miscellaneous surveys.
- Manage the planning of survey activities to ensure efficient and effective delivery of survey services (i.e. scheduling, travel arrangements, vegetation management, specialist equipment assessment, site liaison and inductions).
- Undertake necessary tasks to maintain the accuracy, reliability, serviceability of survey equipment, plant and tools.
- Carry out miscellaneous surveying tasks as directed and in accordance with the quality assurance framework.
- Undertake research and recommend improvements to the traditional approaches in surveying, photogrammetric measurement systems and geographic information systems to ensure best practice and efficient delivery of services.
- Perform other spatial data collection, processing, analysis and reporting tasks as required.
Skills and qualifications required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Surveying, Geospatial Engineering or similar (obtained within the last 5 years)
- 3 – 5 years of relevant experience in the surveying industry.
- Proven experience in the use of precise survey instruments including total stations, digital levels and GNSS technologies for data collection and computers for data post processing and analysis.
- Experience in terrestrial laser scanning and/ or drones for 3D photogrammetry and LiDAR.
- An understanding of survey techniques and operating knowledge of survey equipment including total stations, digital levels, GNSS, terrestrial laser scanners and drones for 3D photogrammetry and LiDAR.
- Good stakeholder management skills.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to analyse and interpret data and information and make sound judgments.
- Basic knowledge in computer software programs including, but not limited to Leica Infinity or Geo Office, Terramodel or CompNet, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, 12D Model, 3DReshaper, Drone2Map or ContextCapture, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook), Microsoft Teams and internet browsers.
- Ability to safely drive a 4WD vehicle (driving for periods up to 8 hours, with breaks every two hours).
- Challenges the status quo to identify improvement or innovation opportunities when appropriate.
- Current drivers licence (manual preferred, or willingness to obtain).
- 9 day fortnight
- Attractive remuneration package
- Great workplace with good job variety
- Diverse and supportive team environment.
We are looking for someone who can work in a high-volume environment with competing priorities required on multiple tasks, willingness to travel to various NSW sites and be away from home for up to two weeks at a time and can work in remote or isolated areas and working at heights.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a National police check & Medical check. Any offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance of these checks.
For further information regarding this position, queries may be directed to Recruitment@waternsw.com.au
Please complete your personal details and submit a cover letter and resume below. All applications must be submitted online.
Please note - Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 16 December 2020