Animal Technician - [Archived Advertisement]
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring your sheep and cattle husbandry experience to work!
- Knowledge of safe operation of agri plant and machinery!
- Full-time opportunity with a very supportive team culture!
CSIRO’s Agriculture and Food research from gene to plate increases productivity and efficiencies at the farm level, improving the quality and yield of Australian crops, developing innovative food processing technologies, creating new value-added foods and growing the nation’s livestock, aquaculture and fishery industries. We have a diverse range of people and partnerships that span Australia and 25 countries, fostering a shared vision to create measurable economic, environmental, and social impact.
We are looking for a highly motivated Animal Technician to be a part of the GROW livestock team working at Armidale focusing on undertaking research projects on genetics, reproduction, animal health and welfare. If you have prior knowledge or hands-on sheep and cattle husbandry experience, moderate computer skills and a strong commitment to teamwork and safe work practices then do not hesitate to apply.
Your duties will include:
- Assisting and supporting the research effort at the Chiswick Research Station.
- Assisting with the maintenance of experimental sheep flocks and associated data recording tasks and activities.
- Assisting with compliance with several quality assurance programs, animal ethics and quarantine protocols.
- Providing a high level of care to ensure livestock are maintained in a healthy state.
- Mustering animals to perform both industry-standard husbandry procedures and planned research activities.
- Assisting with livestock identification procedures and data collection in sheep projects including electronic tagging and weighing, tracking, and managing dataset integrity.
- Monitoring flystrike incidence and worm burdens and assisting with the treatment of animals where appropriate.
- Assisting with the collection of pedigree information and capturing performance record details for a registered Angus cattle herd.
- Assisting with internal and external parasite control in livestock, including the use of agricultural chemicals for animal health.
- Operating vehicles and machinery requiring a license (if available).
Location: Chiswick Research Station, Armidale, NSW
Salary: AU$51k – AU$65k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 2 years /full-time
To be considered you will need:
- Certificate of high school education and relevant work experience in a farming enterprise.
- Demonstrated experience in the safe operation of agricultural plant and machinery items.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally based research team and carry out tasks under general direction from the team or project leaders.
- Knowledge of and a commitment to actively work towards improved Occupational Health and Safety outcomes and safe working practices.
- A current driver’s licence.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to all Australian/New Zealand Citizens; Australian Permanent Residents and/or Australian Temporary Residents residing in Australia with full work rights till the end of October 2026 with no visa sponsorship support from CSIRO. Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements and working with children checks.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 May 2023, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 30 May 2023
- NSW - Armidale
- AU$51k – AU$65k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: