Agricultural Research Farm Hand - [Archived Advertisement]
Agricultural Research Farm Hand
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply your field experience to add value to our Australian Cotton Industry
- Work with a dedicated and supportive team of technicians and scientists
- Ongoing hands-on operational role within CSIRO Agriculture & Food tea
We have multiple positions available!
CSIRO's cotton research is improving the sustainability, productivity, fibre quality and distinctiveness of the Australian cotton crop through development of high-performing varieties, matching crop management strategies, improved post-harvest fibre processing technologies, and development of value-added co-products. Currently with 100 percent of Australian cotton grown from CSIRO varieties, we're adding value at all levels of the Australian cotton industry, including molecular biology, plant breeding, crop management and post-harvest processing.
The Cotton Breeding Group develops new cotton varieties for the Australian cotton industry. This role will assist the Breeding Group in general field and greenhouse operations and maintenance, sampling experiments, processing samples and sowing and harvesting cotton experiments at Myall Vale as well as a number of other regionally located sites in NSW and QLD.
You will provide hands-on approach assistance in day-to-day operations and breeding research. You will also participate in the experimental design, data capture and sample processing from field and glasshouse experiments. You will be required to work as an important team member as well as independently in the Breeding Support team to develop enhanced new varieties suitable for all cotton growing regions of Australia.
Whether you're looking to be actively involved in the science behind our CSIRO cotton research & build your agricultural knowledge, or to apply your practical skills & expertise to improve the farm operational activities of our programs, these roles would be great career opportunities for you, and we would love to hear from you!
Your duties will include:
(Please read through the PD links below as duties differ between roles)
- Operate machinery such as planting, cultivation, fertiliser, spraying and harvesting to manage cotton and other crops in rotation at Myall Vale and other remote locations.
- Irrigate crops as directed and when required.
- Assist with other operations within the CSIRO cotton breeding program, such as crossing, glasshouse operations, post-harvest sample processing and trial preparation.
- Be an active member of a large team, assisting in running an extensive cotton breeding program aimed at developing improved cultivars.
- Provide instruction and assist other staff to complete allocated tasks and activities, as required.
- Assist with maintenance of cotton pickers, module press and other farm equipment as required.
Location: Myall Vale/Narrabri, NSW
Salary: CSOF3 - AU$68k to AU$86k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Ability and willingness to work in harsh and adverse conditions whilst maintaining health and safety requirements.
- Experience in conducting and maintaining field and glasshouse experiments.
- Understanding and experience in the competent operation of row crop farming equipment together with the management of irrigation systems.
- Capable of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carrying out tasks under the direction of Scientific Researchers.
- Ability to operate machinery such as planting, cultivation, fertiliser, spraying and harvesting to manage cotton and other crops in rotation at Myall Vale and other remote locations with willingness and ability to travel to these sites at short notice.
- Ability to lift, bend, walk and undertake repetitive motions and the ability to undertake manual handling and operate equipment safely in accordance with Health and Safety Procedures.
- A current driver’s licence (C).
For full details about the roles, please view the Position Descriptions:
- Link to Position Description 1 (Research Farm Hand) – Key focus on assisting the operations of the breeding program, such as crossing, glasshouse operations, post-harvest sample processing and trial preparation, and supporting practical application of field, crop, water and pesticide management.
- Link to Position Description 2 (Agricultural Research Technician) – Key focus on coordinating field activities such as sowing, weeding, maintenance, observations and harvest of cotton field breeding, as well as assisting in the development of new varieties, creating fresh and diverse genetic resources, and testing/adapting new methodologies.
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents Only.
Appointment to this role is subject to the provision of a national police check and pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Open until filled so you are encouraged to apply now!
- NSW - Narrabri
- CSOF3 - AU$68k to AU$86k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time