Genetic Biocontrol Genomics Experimental Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
Genetic Biocontrol Genomics Experimental Scientist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply your expertise in genomic data analysis and genomic modelling into a varied role
- Develop innovative genetic biocontrol strategies for Australia’s pest management
- Exciting opportunity to join the dynamic team at CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency!
Are you experienced in ecological or genomic modelling and data analysis? We are currently seeking a driven Genetic Biocontrol Genomics Experimental Scientist to join our Pest Genomics team in Melbourne!
Genomic and molecular data are increasingly used for pest management, biosecurity preparedness and to assist in developing genetic biocontrol approaches. CSIRO Health & Biosecurity business unit works with industry partners to deliver and/or make easily accessible reference quality data assets for Australian pests and invasive species.
As part of our Pest Genomics team, you will contribute to the development and uptake of modern genome-based approaches to the management of these species. In this role, you will use biostatistical and multi-omic approaches to help develop novel genetic biocontrol strategies and develop regulatory platforms to stakeholders.
If you’re an early-career genome biologist interested in being actively involved in exciting, multi-faceted projects, this will be a great opportunity for you to collaborate with a diverse range of stakeholders, as well as grow your skills and experience!
Your duties will include:
- Conducting genomic analysis on data from a wide range of vertebrate and invertebrate organisms to help develop genetic biocontrol strategies.
- Developing species biology specific biostatistical models leveraging genomic data.
- Under general direction, contributing to research and/or technology through the development of original and adapted experimental methods, equipment or software.
- Addressing problems promptly and in a constructive manner.
- Participating in planning projects and accepting responsibility for scheduling and completion of major parts of the project.
- Making significant contributions to the interpretation and communication of research or technological results and collaborating on drafting presentations to, and/or detailed written reports for, clients and the scientific and/or technology community.
Location: Parkville (Melbourne), VIC
Salary: AU$87K – AU$98K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- Minimum qualification of a Master’s degree in genetics and biostatistics.
- Work experience in genetic biocontrol strategies and ecological or genomic modelling in pest species.
- Experience developing interactive dashboards and platforms for clients.
- Advanced knowledge of genomic, multi-omic and ecological laboratory and bioinformatic methods with experience in biostatistics for population and quantitative genetics.
- Experience with big-data analysis leveraging R/Python, and subsequent interpretation.
- Ability to write and/or contribute to scientific reports and papers.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
14 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 21 Aug 2022
- VIC - Parkville
- AU$87K – AU$98K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: