Biosecurity/Ecological Risk Scientist
Biosecurity/Ecological Risk Scientist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Apply your analytical skills to help manage Australia’s biosecurity risks
- Create and apply innovative risk analysis methodologies
- Great opportunity to join the dynamic team at CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency!
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Biosecurity/Ecological Risk Scientist to join our CSIRO Health & Biosecurity business unit.
As a Risk Scientist, you will be part of our ‘Biosecurity Program’ that works to mobilise science and technology to support preparedness and response to biosecurity risks to agriculture and the environment. You will also play a vital part in CSIRO’s newly formed ‘Trusted Agrifood Exports Mission’, which aims to integrate data solutions across Australia's agrifood value chain to grow our export premiums.
In this role, you will bring your conceptual, quantitative, qualitative and analytical skills and your knowledge in environmental risk science, systems thinking, data science, quantitative ecology or applied ecology to generate innovative risk assessment and risk management methodologies for biosecurity and market access. You will work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders from diverse disciplines to develop biosecurity risk methods and tools that can be readily applied by regulators and policy makers.
If you’re an early-career scientist looking to apply your well-developed analytical and risk assessment skills into a diverse role, this will be a great platform for you to collaborate with a dynamic team of research scientists and further develop your competencies! CSIRO will offer you excellent career development and professional support, and we are strongly committed to diversity and supporting flexible working arrangements.
Your duties will include:
- Devising strategy and assuming scientific responsibility for research and interpreting results to deliver on project-related outputs.
- Applying strong conceptual, qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills to risk analysis as it relates to managing biosecurity risks.
- Working closely with government, the agricultural industry, data scientists and other disciplines, to identify how risk tools could be applied to address biosecurity risks.
- Incorporating novel approaches to scientific study by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas into existing and future research.
- Developing and contributing to new, multi-disciplinary research projects, including negotiation and securing of external funding requirements.
- Producing scientific papers suitable for publication in high quality international journals and for presentation at national and international conferences, including presenting reports for clients and the scientific and/or technology community.
Location: Canberra, ACT (preferred); Brisbane, QLD (negotiable)
Salary: AU$102K – AU$111K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant discipline such as environmental risk, systems science, data science, quantitative ecology, applied ecology.
- Relevant postdoctoral research experience or equivalent work experience including demonstrated theoretical, conceptual and practical knowledge relevant to the analysis and management of biosecurity or environmental risks.
- Ability to lead projects or components of large multi-disciplinary projects, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve project goals.
- A record of science and/or technological innovation and creativity, including the ability and willingness to incorporate novel ideas and lateral thinking into scientific investigations to develop appropriate solutions to research challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, needed to make research accessible to diverse audiences in constrained time frames, including the ability to publish impactful scientific papers and effectively share research outcomes to clients, collaborators, and technical/community stakeholders.
- An ability to identify and secure new strategically-aligned R&D opportunities through engagement with stakeholders and collaborators.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, an Australian Permanent Resident, or either hold or be able to obtain a valid working visa (visa sponsorship for the duration of the specified term may be offered to the successful candidate if required).
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements. Please review the position description for more details on the specific special requirements for this role.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2022
- AU$102K – AU$111K pa + up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Ecological Modelling/Quantitative Ecology