Biological Collections Data Scientist
Biological Collections Data Scientist
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Join National Research Collections Australia and help build a viable data science and analytics team
- Develop new machine learning and artificial intelligence methods to help integrate, leverage and deliver the Collections
- Support effective utilisation of the most comprehensive specimen-based record of Australia’s biodiversity
National Research Collections Australia (NRCA) provides biological research infrastructure and capability to the Australian and international community, delivering specimens, data, science, training and advice to end-users. NRCA is impact-focused and research intensive, supporting and delivering across a broad range of fundamental and applied areas.
As a senior NRCA scientist, you will lead the development of new machine learning and artificial intelligence methods to help integrate, leverage and deliver the extensive biological information held in these collections. You will develop projects collaboratively to solve significant science questions and help understand, conserve and manage Australia’s unique phytoplankton, flora and fauna. Potential research focus areas include diagnostic and identification tools, trait extraction from specimen images, and large-scale analyses that integrate multiple data layers.
In this role you will:
- Liaise and engage with CSIRO’s digital domain, NRCA collections managers and researchers.
- Develop and lead or support cross-NRCA collaboration and external projects.
- Conceptually bridge and engage across biology and data science domains.
- Develop a significant portfolio of applied collections-based digital science.
- Provide leadership and support to help increase the digital maturity of collection scientists and managers.
- Demonstrate a considerable degree of originality, creativity and innovation in solving problems and introduce new directions and approaches.
- Communicate research results to clients and the scientific community.
Location: Canberra, ACT or Hobart, TAS
Salary: AU$117k - AU$138k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years, Full-time
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate in a relevant discipline area (e.g., data science, applied computer science, biodiversity science), and a demonstrated research track record commensurate with a senior scientist role.
- Deep knowledge of AI/ML and analytics and trends, particularly with regard to application in biodiversity/collection science.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
Applications are open to:
- Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents
- New Zealand Citizens
- Australian temporary residents with the right to work for the expected duration of the term (at least to end of August 2024), with no requirement for sponsorship
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Monday 11 July, 2022 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 11 Jul 2022
- AU$117k - AU$138k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: