River Basin Modeller (Research Scientist)
River Basin Modeller (Research Scientist)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have experience in river basin modelling and analysis?
- Join the Water Security Program within CSIRO’s Land and Water business unit
- Innovative and collaborative workplace with fantastic flexibility
Through an integrated systems research approach CSIRO Land & Water provides the information and technologies required by government, industry and the Australian and international communities to protect, restore, and manage natural and built environments.
In the role of River Basin Modeller (Research Scientist) you will undertake innovative research and lead components of high impact external projects related to the analysis of river systems and how their management can be enhanced under uncertain future hydroclimatic conditions, with an emphasis on managing extremes.
This position will provide a critical link between researchers engaged in developing ensemble hydroclimate forecasts and projections, and river managers and operators in the development and assessment of river management and regulation strategies that seek to enhance economic, environmental, social and cultural values.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking assessments of river systems operation and management strategies under historical and uncertain future hydroclimate scenarios.
- Conducting original research on river systems operation and management to support adaptation to climate change and management of real-time risks.
- Conducting original research in hydrological science and modelling, particularly related to improving predictions of extreme events.
- Providing strong delivery to high impact external projects like the Murray-Darling Basin Water and Environment Research Program (MD-WERP), Water Forecasting applications, and Digital Water and Landscapes.
- Communicating research outcomes to scientific and industry forums through scientific publications, reports, and presentations.
- Working closely with industry clients to ensure delivery of research outcomes and transferring technologies and/or guidelines for adoption.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 per annum + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as hydrological science, environmental science or engineering.
- Experience researching hydrological science, river systems planning, the application of forecasts for operational water management, and/or water resources adaptation to a changing climate.
- Demonstrated experience in programming and working with large datasets that cover large spatial and temporal scales.
- Strong oral communication skills including the ability to make scientific presentations to audiences with scientific and non-scientific backgrounds.
- A demonstrated publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or conference papers and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team in order to meet deadlines and respond productively to changing requirements,
- An ability to work independently to define and carry-out specific work goals.
- Experience in operational water management and/or forecasting.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description.
Applications for this position are open to all candidates. Visa sponsorship will be provided if required.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a National Police check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday 7th July 2022, 11PM AEST.
- Closing Date:
- 07 Jul 2022
- AU$102,724 - AU$111,165 per annum + up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmental Science/Earth Science
Water Resources Planning