Science Director - NCMI - [Archived Advertisement]
Science Director - NCMI
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation.
Set the scientific vision & strategic direction for CSIRO’s NCMI team
- Stewardship of Australia’s most fascinating and precious scientific resources
- Build strategic relationships and collaborations internally and externally
CSIRO’s National Collections and Marine Infrastructure (NCMI) business manages collections of plants and animals of Australian and international significance, hosts and contributes to the Atlas of Living Australia, manages the Environomics Future Science Platform, and hosts the Marine National Facility on behalf of Australia.
Our core business is delivering science-ready platforms that are used by researchers, industry partners and the public around the world to understand and manage biodiversity and the marine environment.
The Science Director will play a leading role in the provision of scientific vision, leadership and direction to the NCMI Business Unit whilst ensuring CSIRO remains scientifically competitive.
The Science Director will work closely with the Director to oversee programs and activities within the Business Unit. The Science Director provides scientific vision and leadership in areas relevant to their expertise and manages key relationships within and beyond CSIRO. The Science Director is a member of the CSIRO Science Council and will deputise for the Director as required.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership: develop a culture of scientific excellence; drive effective research capability in accordance with research and investment priorities; and develop new science platforms, be accountable for their performance and translation into impact science areas.
- Functional Leadership: Contribute to strategic and operational planning for the NCMI Business Unit and provide leadership in the implementation; facilitate organisational development, positioning the business unit to deal with potential challenges and influences on the operating environment.
- Capability Leadership: Strive for ‘Zero Harm’ through a commitment to a healthy, safe and environmentally sustainable workplace; support the Business Unit Leadership Team to identify, attract, develop and retain world class talent, including succession planning for the science leadership pipeline.
- Engagement and Partnerships: Manage external scientific relationships to advance CSIRO’s interests, science delivery and impact; provide scientific representation nationally and internationally; build strategic alliances with industry and the University community to execute CSIRO strategy; and create opportunities for cross-Business Unit collaboration within CSIRO.
- Resource Leadership: Develop long term infrastructure plans; work with the BU Leadership Team to effectively prioritise and deploy capability and resources to meet current and future requirements.
Location: Canberra or Hobart
Salary: Attractive salary package to be negotiated, with up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years (renewal of term negotiable)
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant science or technology domain (including, but not limited to, environmental sciences, engineering, technology or information science), combined with managerial qualifications or significant relevant scientific leadership experience.
- Demonstrated leadership of strategy, planning and prioritisation activities in a relevant science environment.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows new science/engineering opportunities, supports excellence, and secures resources for the delivery of research and research infrastructure.
- Thorough and up-to-date understanding of the national and international innovation system, including knowledge of external industries and R&D markets, trends, decision making and dynamics relevant to the National Collections and Marine Infrastructure Business Unit research portfolio
- A strong history of establishing and working effectively in high performing teams including a record of inspiring others, actively encouraging new ideas and creating a trusted, inclusive environment.
- A track record in supporting a senior leader in optimal positioning, organisational alignment and science delivery in the national interest.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
6th February 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 06 Feb 2022
- Attractive salary package to be negotiated, with up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmental Science/Earth Science