CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Earth System Modelling with focus on terrestrial carbon uptake - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Earth System Modelling with focus on terrestrial carbon uptake
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our?vision towards reconciliation.
- Do you have a PhD in Mathematics, Physics or Earth System Science?
- Would you like to conduct world class research in support of the Paris Climate Agreement?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will join a vibrant team of international leaders in carbon cycle science and earth system modelling. You will use the Earth System Model (ESM) version of the Australian Community Climate and Earth System Simulator (ACCESS) to assess the consequences for the Australian terrestrial biosphere of actively removing CO2 from the atmosphere, drawing from existing ACCESS and other ESM submissions to the 6th phase of the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP6), and through designing, running and analysing new experiments.
The role sits within the “Modelling the Earth System” Group in CSIRO’s Climate Science Centre. The successful candidate will be someone who wants to work in a team, has keen interest in earth system science and a strong drive to deliver science in support of the Paris Climate Agreement.
Your duties will include:
- Analyse experiments performed for the Carbon Dioxide Removal Model Intercomparison Project (CDRMIP) and for other relevant CMIP6 MIPs.
- Provide an assessment and evaluation of carbon dioxide removal experiments for Australia.
- Design and perform new experiments with the state-of-the-art earth system model ACCESS to assess the impact and potential of carbon sequestration through the deployment of Negative Emissions Technologies (NETs) under climate change.
- Provide a quantification of the potential of NETs and carbon sequestration, and approaches that are viable in the unique Australian environment under a changing climate.
Location: Aspendale and Clayton, Melbourne
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as as Mathematics, Physics or Earth System Science. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Strong skills in high-level computer programming, and familiarity with command-language scripting in Unix or Linux environments.
- Strong background in one or more areas of earth sciences.
- Demonstrated experience in modelling for one or more of the following areas:
a. land surface processes,
b. carbon cycle processes,
c. other climate and/or earth system processes.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 January 2022, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jan 2022
- AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
Environmental Science/Earth Science