Coastal Modeller - [Archived Advertisement]
- Conduct innovative research in ecological restoration, coastal dynamics (particularly littoral zone dynamics) and climate services
- Develop numerical modelling and data analytics approaches to improve predictions of coastal processes across spatial and temporal scales
- Immerse yourself in an inclusive and diverse culture that offers great flexibility
CSIRO’s Oceans and Atmosphere Business Unit is seeking a Coastal Modeller with skills in hydrodynamic modelling, sediment transport modelling, remote sensing and data analytics to develop novel numerical methods and analysis workflows to characterise and predict the synergistic interaction of coastal morphology and ecosystems with waves, currents and water levels in the littoral zone. This will require collaboration across several CSIRO business units and with universities undertaking fundamental research activities into littoral dynamics and observations as well as on restoration and nature-based solutions.
You will be required to extend existing professional networks and build new ones, work with senior scientists to secure project funds, provide scientific leadership, such as lead certain research activities within large multi-project portfolios, and pursue new ideas and approaches. Specific areas of research include integration of numerical modelling and remote sensing analyses of coastal processes to support innovative solutions towards a low-carbon economy, high-resolution prediction of surf-zone dynamics and related decision making tools for littoral (eg. Defence) operations, and coastal hazard estimation and mitigation.
Your duties will include:
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Undertake scientific research under broad guidance from Research Director and Group Leader, including leading designated research activities within large multi-project portfolios.
- Work effectively as an integral member and/or leader of multi-disciplinary, often geographically dispersed research teams.
- Act as a trusted advisor, utilising knowledge of client’s business and understanding of their underlying needs.
- Anticipate industry and/or community needs and market direction through client liaison/networking and identify and adapt quickly to changes.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
- Lead, coach and supervise staff to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, within agreed timelines and budget.
Location: Perth, WA
Salary: AU$115k – AU$135k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD or equivalent research experience in a relevant applied research area with several years of research experience beyond PhD on coastal modelling.
- Significant experience in leading and developing numerical modelling and data analytics approaches to improve coastal processes understanding.
- Experience in innovative research encompassing the interactions between ecological restoration and coastal dynamics (in particular, littoral zone dynamics).
- Experience developing cloud and high performance computing solutions for the analysis and prediction of coastal and ocean dynamics.
- Significant experience applying a variety of software frameworks and languages to analyse in situ and satellite-derived data in applications to coastal hydrodynamics.
- Experience in applying image analysis techniques to study hydrodynamics at laboratory and field scales.
- Experience training/assisting project stakeholders in the interpretation and utilisation of complex scientific tools and data.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in this role you must be an Australian Citizen or New Zealand Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident. The successful applicant will also be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
1 Nov 2021, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 01 Nov 2021
- WA - St Lucia
- AU$115k – AU$135k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Natural Resource Management