Director, National Biodiversity DNA Library
Director, National Biodiversity DNA Library
- Unique opportunity to enable world’s-best environmental monitoring
- Build a nationally significant environmental data infrastructure
- Transform the effectiveness of molecular bio-monitoring with leading technology created by CSIRO
The National Biodiversity DNA Library (NBDL) is a globally unique and significant data infrastructure that will transform the effectiveness of environmental monitoring in Australia. DNA-based biological surveys are poised to revolutionise the speed, scale, and accuracy of how we monitor Australia’s natural environment. With an incomplete and dispersed reference library of known DNA sequences, most species go undetected as they can’t be matched in the library. Generating reference DNA sequences for all named Australian species, the NBDL is powered by world-leading technology developed by CSIRO’s Environomics Future Science Platform (FSP).
As the director of the National Biodiversity DNA Library (NBDL), you will lead a team of molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, data analysts and digitisation experts. Working extensively with the collections and taxonomic community, plus end-users of environmental information, you will lead the successful delivery of this significant national asset. In this key role, you will provide leadership, devise strategy, and actively communicate with a broad range of stakeholders including a steering group, partners, funders, end users and the public.
In this role you will:
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of scientists to deliver the National Biodiversity DNA Library.
- Work with a steering committee to lead the planning of sequencing campaigns.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships, including governments, industry, and NGOs, and play a lead role in securing project funds.
- Communicate the mission, achievements, and impacts of the NBDL.
- Work with the NBDL’s technical lead and broader team to continually improve the efficiency of workflows.
- Help establish data, identification and metadata standards and ensure that the NBDL meets the needs of end-users.
- Ensure that the NBDL adopts data handling practices that facilitate data exchange and interoperability with other data infrastructures.
- Ensure that protocols are put in place to track NBDL data use.
Location: Black Mountain (Canberra) ACT (other locations may be considered by negotiation)
Salary: AU$115k - AU$135k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years (with possibility for extension)
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate or equivalent experience in a relevant molecular biology discipline area such as biodiversity or biosecurity genomics, together with relevant practical experience.
- Experience leading large multi-disciplinary scientific programs, ideally with an end-user focus.
- High level communication skills with a proven ability to represent science concepts to a range of audiences.
- Experience building partnerships with external organisations, including the acquisition of funding.
- A record of innovation and creativity in achieving objectives.
For full details about this role please view the Position Details
Applications are open to:
- Australian or New Zealand Citizens currently residing in Australia
- Australian Permanent Residents currently residing in Australia
- Australian temporary residents who are currently residing in Australia and have the right to work for the expected duration of the term (at least to end of December 2023, with no requirement for sponsorship
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 28 October, 2021 (11pm AEDT)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 28 Oct 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$115k - AU$135k per annum, plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: