CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Renewable Energy Substitutes for Energy Storage - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Renewable Energy Substitutes for Energy Storage
- Do you want to advance your scientific knowledge & experience?
- Conduct innovative research on renewable energy
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will research and develop technical and financial models of renewable power systems, using large electrical, power and geographical (GIS) datasets. High performance computing, big data and computer science techniques will utilise these models to test and cost new methods of integrating renewables into Australia’s energy grid while reducing energy and grid costs and minimising the need for fossil fuels, spinning machines and large-scale storage.
Your duties will include:
- Acquire and curate large datasets of renewable energy resource, load profiles and energy market data.
- Compare renewable overbuild scenarios by measuring decreases in variability and build/operating costs via technical and economic modelling and optimisation.
- Conduct a continent-wide renewable resource study to locate pairs or sets of sites with anticorrelated wind/solar availability close to transmission infrastructure and model the potential improvement in variability.
- Write high quality, reusable software simulation and modelling tools for large data processing on modern high-performance computing systems.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as engineering, computer science, software engineering, applied physics, mathematical modelling, data science, applied statistics, or equivalent. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Research or professional experience in software engineering, data driven modelling, high performance computing, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) and/or statistics.
- Experience exploring, manipulating and cleaning dynamic and incomplete real-world datasets, for use with mathematical or machine learning models.
- Experience with data manipulation, modelling and software deployment in languages such as Python, R, Julia, Java etc.
- High level oral and written communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applicants must be Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23 September 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 23 Sep 2021
- NSW - Newcastle
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: