CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Invasive Species Genomics - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Invasive Species Genomics
- Do you have a PhD in Biological Sciences or related disciplines?
- Help contribute towards research on Australian weevils and invasive species
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow with a PhD in Biology, Entomology or related discipline to join the Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC). Ideally they will have practical experience in beetle systematics, genome analysis and statistics. The Postdoctoral Fellow will join a specialised joint project team that aims to develop innovative approaches to uncover molecular patterns that predict the establishment and spread of invasive beetle species, to assist biosecurity risk analysis, prioritization strategies and management. They will collaborate closely with the Australian Invasive Species and Pest Genome Partnership, CSIRO Health & Biosecurity and Land & Water business units, The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, as well as renowned Australian and International Universities and various other stakeholders.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Contributing towards Australian weevils systematics, and undertaking appropriate fieldwork.
- Producing high-quality genomic resources and implementing statistical models to predict invasiveness in wood boring beetles’ species.
- Recognising and utilising opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives.
Location: Black Mountain, ACT
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Biological Sciences or related disciplines. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience with molecular research including next generation sequencing analysis (i.e., phylogenetics, genomics) and laboratory work (i.e., DNA extraction).
- Demonstrated evidence of knowledge of systematic entomology and fieldwork experience.
- A current Australian driver’s licence or the ability to obtain one.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia, and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: