Indigenous Research Projects Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Indigenous Research Projects Officer
- Scientific support of Indigenous research projects
- Apply your cultural knowledge & experience to CSIRO’s Indigenous Science agenda & initiatives
- Work flexibly! Mix of home and office – achieve the right balance for you
As an Indigenous Research Projects Officer, you will provide science support to Indigenous knowledge, Indigenous science, Indigenous enterprise development, regional prosperity and climate adaptation and resilience projects undertaken by CSIRO’s Land and Water (L&W) Business Unit.
This position is focused on meeting major Closing the Gap targets and Sustainability Development Goals, as well as wider Indigenous community expectations. The position is explicitly understood to be a development role in which the appointee will be given mentoring and opportunity to build a long-term science career at CSIRO.
This role is only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. CSIRO believes that this role needs to be carried out by an Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander person and we couldn’t do this research without your critical input. This is a great opportunity to be at the forefront of impactful research into strengthening Indigenous communities and we would not be able to achieve our goals without the critical perspectives of Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More detail around the difference between the two levels is outlined in the position description.
Your duties will include:
- Support research projects that address the information needs of the emerging set of Indigenous enterprises development, regional prosperity, climate adaptation and resilience needs, particularly focussed on sustainable development on the Indigenous land and sea estate
- Support and participate in the ongoing development of L&W and CSIRO’s Indigenous Science agendas and initiatives
- Work collaboratively in multi-sited and interdisciplinary teams across CSIRO and its partners
- Undertake community-based and participatory fieldwork in multiple locations in rural and remote Australia, particularly focused on Northern Australia
- Undertake desktop work (literature reviews, data processing and entry, administrative tasks) to support science and impact goals
- Assist with workshops, meetings and other research events to deliver collaborative and Indigenous science
- Undertake local research partner and stakeholder liaison
- Follow existing and/or design new processes for adhering to Indigenous cultural protocols and other CSIRO protocols and ethical standards in research events
Location: Brisbane or Townsville, Qld
Salary: AU$64k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant diploma or bachelor’s degree in development studies, business studies, anthropology, geography, Indigenous studies, natural and cultural resource management, digital studies, climate adaptation, law, policy analysis, and/or communications.
- Skills in engaging and communicating sensitively with diverse groups of people, particularly regional and remote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- An understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- Ability to travel to regional and remote areas for work for periods of up to 10 days.
- Additional criteria listed in the position description to be appointed at the higher level.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
They will also be required to show proof of Aboriginality and be able to provide a cultural referee.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
12 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 12 Aug 2021
- AU$64k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Climate Change/Climate Science
Natural Resource Management