- Multiple Positions Available within CSIROs Land and Water Business Unit!
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
Research Projects staff in CSIRO collaborate in scientific and technological activities with other research staff usually by assisting with detailed planning, undertaking or assisting with experimental, observational or technology development work, and in carrying out the more practical aspects of the work.
The Material Fluxes team within CSIROs Land and Water business unit have two opportunities available to join their team as a Field Technician; one role is for 3 years and one role is for 18 months.
The Material Fluxes Team quantify changes in water, soil, nutrients and vegetation to evaluate the influence of land management on the environment and the cost effectiveness of modifying management practices. The two Field Technician positions will work with the team by providing technical expertise that focuses on the testing and implementation of monitoring programs, automated field installations, manual data collection and data management in terrestrial, freshwater and marine settings.
Your duties will include:
- Participating in planning projects and accepting responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of projects.
- Supporting and maintaining automated field and laboratory-based measurement systems and long-term field data collection sites suited to the needs of scientific research projects.
- Testing and calibrating environmental sensors and measurement systems using standard or adapted experimental methods to provide reliable, high quality measurement data.
- Maintaining detailed, accurate records of field and laboratory operations to support complex technical and scientific investigations.
- Following and adapting QA/QC processes to ensure the integrity of monitoring data is maintained through every stage of the research process.
- Working collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Working in remote environments often for extended periods to undertake field sampling using protocols agreed by the project team.
- Making contributions to the interpretation and communication of research or technological results and may collaborate on drafting presentations to, and/or detailed written reports for clients and the scientific and/or technology community.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Townsville, QLD
Salary: AU$63K - AU$80K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years (Full-time) or Specified term of 18 months (Full-time)
Reference: 71070 and 71081
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Environmental Science/ Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to develop experimental procedures for laboratory and field-based operations.
- Experience with environmental sensors, data recording systems, vegetation surveys and instrument deployment methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment or independently as required.
- Experience and willingness to undertake fieldwork and ability to travel away from Townsville for extended periods (sometimes up to 2 weeks).
- Will need to hold a valid driver’s licence.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23:59 AEDT 20th January, 2021