- Design and develop novel low temperature electrochemical cells with solid electrolytes
- Use your expertise to contribute to reducing emissions from Australia’s energy sector
- Join CSIRO Energy and make a difference!
CSIRO is seeking a motivated Research Scientist - Electrochemistry, Electrolysis and PEM (Polymer Electrolyte Membrane) to join our Electrochemical Energy Systems team. In this diverse role, you will undertake research contributing to a wide range of projects looking to develop electrochemical cells for low temperature synthesis of chemicals or hydrogen production. Interacting with a wide range of other specialists, you will be responsible for the development of the electrochemical cell including stack design and materials selection/development. The aim of this research is to reduce emissions from Australia’s energy sector.
The Research Scientist will join a team based at the Centre for Hybrid Energy Systems (CHES). Based in Clayton, Victoria, this is a state-of-the-art facility showcasing CSIRO’s substantial expertise and capability in integrating energy storage, renewable energy hydrogen (including electrolysis) and fuel cell technologies, fuel processing, systems design and construction.
Your duties will include:
- Assisting in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Carrying out research in the design and development of novel low temperature electrochemical cells with solid electrolytes.
- Undertaking measurements of cells with electrochemical analytical equipment, XRD, SEM and various gas analyses.
- Developing new research areas with a view to reducing emissions from Australia's energy sector.
- Working with the team and group leader to develop funding proposals and multi-disciplinary research projects.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: AU$98k - AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as electrochemistry, material science or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience with electrochemical cells such as fuel cells, electrolysers or cells for the electrochemical synthesis of simple molecules.
- Demonstrated experience with a range of electrochemical analytical equipment, XRD, SEM and various gas analyses.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- A publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
11 January 2021, 11 pm AEDT