- Provide animal husbandry and research support to the Rabbit Biocontrol Team.
- Conduct laboratory analyses to support research projects.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation.
Research Projects staff in CSIRO collaborate in scientific and technological activities with other research staff usually by assisting with detailed planning, undertaking or assisting with experimental, observational or technology development work, and in carrying out the more practical aspects of the work.
The Research Projects Officer will provide animal husbandry and research support to the Rabbit Biocontrol Team within the Managing Invasive Species and Diseases Program of Health & Biosecurity. The team’s research focuses on investigating the molecular epidemiology of rabbit caliciviruses in the context of biocontrol to manage feral rabbits in Australia. You will be responsible for maintaining high standards of animal husbandry and biosecurity in relation to the laboratory rabbit breeding colony and associated animal experimental work. They will also conduct laboratory analyses to support research projects, including DNA and RNA extractions, PCR, real-time PCR, next-generation sequencing, ELISAs, and general laboratory duties.
Your duties will include:
- Undertaking animal husbandry duties for the laboratory rabbit breeding colony and animal experimental work.
- Undertaking experiments and laboratory analyses using a range of techniques, often working on parallel and competing tasks.
- Participating in general laboratory duties and contribute to the team environment.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$63k – AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term until 30th June 2023
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent relevant work experience in biological or environmental science.
- A relevant formal qualification/s in animal care.
- An Australian manual driver’s licence.
- Demonstrated experience in laboratory animal husbandry.
- Demonstrated experience with molecular biology methods, such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, and ELISAs.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday, 11th October 2020 11:59 AEST