- Assist in engineering novel synthetic fibres for niche products for the agriculture sector.
- Work on new initiatives to generate future-facing new science and impact.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
The CSIRO SynBio Future Science Platform is an exciting new initiative to generate future-facing new science and impact. Within this platform one project centres on cell walls and fibres – as they are the fundamental component of all plants and are important for many agricultural crop products. In particularly, natural plant fibres such as cotton from cotton seed fibre, linen, hemp and bamboo from stem bast fibre, are all the product of the plant cell wall and are important fibres in the global textile industry. This project’s ultimate and ambitious aim is to engineer novel synthetic fibres for niche / unique products for the agriculture sector, in the first instance with a specific focus on cotton. It has a strong central focus on plant fibres, cell wall molecular components and wall and fibre functionality. The role takes an inclusive approach across the value-chain.
Your duties will include:
- Liaise with clients and industry stakeholders to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
- Project Lead role and under limited direction, assist in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carry out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Present results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Address problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, preparing detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
Location: Canberra, Australia
Tenure: Specified term until June 2022
Salary: AU$98K – AU$106K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential selection criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated research experience in molecular biology and computational analysis of transcriptome and / or genome data including in depth analysis of protein motifs for function – including standard techniques and producing and testing transgenic constructs and transgenic organisms.
- Demonstrated originality, creativity and innovation in solving problems and introducing new directions and approaches.
- The ability to work together with a collaborative spirit with a broad range of people from varying research backgrounds.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to publish the results of scientific research in scientific journals and present scientific concepts to a general audience.
For more information please view the Position Description.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday, 29th March 2020 at 11:59PM AEST