- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Land and Water
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
The Material Fluxes Team quantify the movement of water, soil and nutrients to evaluate the influence of land management on the environment and the cost effectiveness of modifying management practices. The Research Technician – Field Instrumentation Specialist will work with the team by providing technical expertise that focuses on the design and implementation of monitoring programs, automated field installations and data delivery platforms in terrestrial, freshwater and marine settings.
Your duties will include
- Participating in planning projects and accept responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of projects, including allocating and directing tasks where appropriate.
- Developing, deploying and maintaining automated field and laboratory-based measurement systems suited to the needs of scientific research projects.
- Testing and calibrating environmental sensors and measurement systems using standard or adapted experimental methods to provide reliable, high quality measurement data.
- Maintaining detailed, accurate records of field and laboratory operations to support complex technical and scientific investigations.
- Following and adapting QA/QC processes to ensure the integrity of monitoring data is maintained through every stage of the research process.
- Providing coaching, on-the-job training and instruction to colleagues, on activities pertaining to the immediate work area and responsibilities, allocating activities, directing tasks and managing resources to meet objectives, as required.
Location: Townsville, QLD
Salary: AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- A relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Environmental Science/ Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to develop experimental procedures for laboratory and field-based operations.
- Experience with environmental sensors, data recording systems and deployment methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment or independently as required.
- Experience and willingness to undertake fieldwork and ability to travel away from Townsville.
- To hold a valid driver’s licence.
- To obtain and provide evidence of a National Police Check or equivalent. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits.
- To undertake a pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
23:00 AEDT 29th November 2019