- Develop a portfolio of climate science research with potential to evolve over time
- Build dynamic and creative research teams & foster a “Path to Impact” culture
- Join CSIRO’s Oceans and Atmosphere leadership team & inform key decision making processes
CSIRO’s Climate Science Centre (CSC) aims to be Australia’s centre for innovative and world-leading climate system science; informing and inspiring collaboration, solutions and actions. The CSC supports high quality science teams and research capabilities, to deliver on its mission of creating the knowledge, products and services to support a sustainable, resilient and productive future.
As the Centre Director, you will set the vision, strategy and leadership of the CSC to deliver outcomes and impact through mission-directed, multi-disciplinary and collaborative science. You will sustain and enhance the Centre’s success through leadership of its strategic direction and a focus on impact with stakeholders.
To capitalise on the mission-directed and impact-focussed research effort, you must have strong links with industry partners and relevant government agencies (or high potential to develop). As an impact driven, entrepreneurial and collaborative leader, you will nurture and strengthen partnerships, developing a more integrated approach to climate science in Australia. You will proactively develop and manage a portfolio and pipeline of science, projects and relationships to ensure optimal science, financial and impact delivery.
Your duties will be focussed in four key areas:
- Impact Science leadership
- Capability leadership
- Engagement and partnerships
- Resource leadership
Location: Negotiable – Canberra, Melbourne or Hobart
Salary: Attractive salary to be negotiated
Tenure: Approximate 3 year term (ending 31/12/2022)
Reference No.: 62500
To be considered you will hold a doctorate, have at least five years’ postdoctoral research experience in a relevant scientific discipline, and maintain areputation of exemplary values and behaviours. You will also have:
- A good track record of actively promoting cross-business collaboration.
- An established reputation for developing and leading strategic direction.
- Superior reporting, presentation and negotiation skills, and the ability to influence key stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership capability, including the ability to build enduring and effective partnerships and collaborations.
- The ability to develop programs and opportunities that respond to national and global research challenges.
- The ability to successfully develop and lead a pipeline and portfolio of science, research and innovation on a national and international scale.
- A history of strong strategic relationship building and management.
- High-level team building and management skills, including strategic planning and financial management.
- A flexible approach and the ability to resolve major scientific, technical, commercial or management problems.
- A National Police Clearance.
To see all the criteria required for success in this key leadership role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below. Apply today!
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment - CSIRO
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
To apply - DO NOT APPLY ONLINE. PLEASE SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
As part of your application, you are requested to provide the following in Microsoft Word format via the email address below:
Cover Letter: Outlining the motivation and relevant capabilities and experience you could bring to this role
Contact details for three Referees – Referees will only be contacted after prior consultation with the candidate. It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that their referees are willing to provide reports when contacted by CSIRO
Date of commencement: An indication of the earliest date on which the candidate could commence in the position
Candidates are not required to address selection criteria. Please send your application directly to:
Ms Terri Ward at email@example.com
Applications Close: Monday 26 August, 2019 (11:59pm AEST)