- Do you have an interest in key science questions around climate-carbon feedbacks?
- Work on a program that will assist the Australian government to meet its commitments to limit global warming
- Join CSIRO's dynamic Oceans and Atmosphere business unit
The Research scientist will undertake 'hands-on' modelling work including contributing to ACCESS-ESM development, and developing strong external collaborations. You will also be raising the team's profile through high-impact publications designing experiments, running the model, analysing simulations and presenting results.
Your duties will include
- Identify key science questions around climate-carbon feedbacks and land-based climate mitigation policies and use the ACCESS-ESM model to address these questions; develop strong expertise in those areas in earth system modelling.
- Further develop the land surface model (CABLE) in ACCESS-ESM including implementing new model components as required.
- Publish key results in peer-reviewed literature.
Location: Aspendale, VIC
Salary: AU$97,276 - AU$105,269 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- PhD in physical sciences or related areas.
- Work experience in global land surface modelling, within the environment of coupled climate or earth system modelling, including demonstrated ability to show initiative and meet deadlines.
- A strong publication record in the area of global land modelling.
- Excellent computing skills including experience with High Performance Computing; Unix/Linux operating systems; Fortran; Python or similar scripting languages; data analysis and visualisation tools; handling large datasets in formats such as netCDF.
- Evidence of ability to work flexibly and independently as well as part of a team and to form and maintain effective working relationships with a range of colleagues and collaborators. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good understanding of the land carbon and biogeochemical cycles, and the impact of land use change on carbon and nutrient cycles.
- Experience working in code development for a global land surface or climate model.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter addressing each of the essential criteria (including the desirable, if applicable) carefully while also outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday May 5th, 2019