- Work with a collaborative and innovative team
- Support Australia’s premier Aquaculture researchers
- Join CSIRO and have a real impact on the aquaculture industry
CSIRO Agriculture and Food seek a Research Technician to undertake animal management, laboratory sampling and data collection activities in support of research and development projects in CSIRO’s Aquaculture research program.
As part of a small and dedicated team, you will contribute to the rearing and propagating of prawn families and research into selective breeding and assist with other aquaculture research projects.
Your duties will include
- Undertaking and completing aquatic animal husbandry management tasks under technical direction, working with some level of independence to decide on the timing of operations within the work team’s plan and planning ahead to meet experiment and/or project demands.
- Contributing to animal-based experiments, laboratory sampling and technology development activities.
- Working with existing procedures for breeding and culturing penaeid prawns, and managing algal and brine shrimp cultures.
- Assisting in the design, set up and operation of crustacean and fin fish experiments.
Location: Bribie Island, Queensland
Salary: AU$61k - AU$78k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term for 3 years
To be successful you will need
- A Tertiary qualification or equivalent, and sound experience, in Aquaculture or a related field.
- Experience in penaeid prawn broodstock husbandry, larval rearing of crustaceans, and in management of water treatment systems.
- Strong communication and team skills, and a history of professional behaviours.
- The willingness and ability to work on a flexible roster during seasonal periods of higher staffing needs (typically prawn breeding periods in spring and autumn).
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Applications Close: 16th Dec 2018