- Conduct experiments relating to irrigated cotton, grain crops and forages
- Support the evaluation of new farming systems in tropical Australia
- Join CSIRO in a role takes you from office to field
CSIRO Agriculture and Food seek a Research Projects Officer to conduct research in tropical cotton and grains cropping systems. You will be part of a small team in a multi-agency project led by commercial partners and supported by the CRC for Developing Northern Australia (CRC-P) and the Cotton Research and Development Corporation. Part of your role will include supporting the evaluation of new cotton/grain/forage farming systems in tropical Australia and conducting field based research in remote locations in north-west Queensland. Field trips, up to one week at a time, will be a regular part of your work so you’ll need to be comfortable working outdoors, in hot and humid climates.
Your duties will include
- Contributing to the design and planning of field experiments and observational work involving irrigated cotton, grain crops and forages during the tropical wet and dry seasons.
- Implementing the field experiments and observational work including taking measurements and performing general experiment management.
- Setting up and using relevant agricultural machinery and data measurement equipment at the various research sites.
Location: Townsville, QLD
Salary: AU$82k - AU$93k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until 31/01/2021
To be successful you will need
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the conduct of agricultural field experiments.
- Experience in data collection, collation and management of agricultural field experiments.
- Experience in the use and collaboration & maintenance of agricultural machinery & scientific equipment used in agricultural field experiments.
- Be flexible and adaptable in an environment where the scheduling of activities are dictated by the stage of the crop and uncontrollable weather conditions.
- The willingness and ability to work in hot and humid weather conditions, and to travel to remote locations to conduct field work.
- A full driver’s licence.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
11th December 2018