- Do you have experience working with Traditional Owners?
- Have you worked with 3D map applications?
- Join the Collaborative and Indigenous Science project team!
As the Research Project Officer, your primary responsibilities will be to support the current Collaborative and Indigenous Science project team to achieve key project milestones, produce high quality outputs, and improve efficacy of team actions. These responsibilities will lead to recognised scientific achievements as well as the advancement of Indigenous and collaborative knowledge protocols for national and global use. You will undertake systematic review work in the field of transdisciplinary environmental research.
Your duties will include
- Support the application and development of a 3-Dimensional (3D) map application with Traditional Owners in the Fitzroy River Catchment (Kimberley).
- Show and share Indigenous knowledge and western science, while testing and proving the 3D map’s engagement capacity as a methodology for fostering Indigenous-led and co-developed research.
- Use software packages and digital visualization methods to support development of the 3D map application including:
- Participatory GIS;
- Image Processing for 3D projection;
- Video capture and editing;
- Bibliographic data bases;
- Online Collaboration Tools;
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis;
- Microsoft Office suite;
- and other packages and methods as required.
- Communicate effectively, fostering trust and respect, with Traditional Owners in the Kimberley region, and across northern Australia.
Location: Cairns, Queensland
Tenure: Specified Term of 2 years
Salary: AU$82K – AU$93K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- Relevant tertiary qualification or relevant work experience in environmental science, including an understanding of the science and practice of working across scientific, Indigenous and local knowledge systems.
- High-level cross-cultural oral communication skills with Traditional Owners (specifically from Kimberley WA) and other Indigenous people in Australia.
- High-level technical skills to work with the following applications:
- Participatory GIS
- Image Processing for 3D projection
- Video capture and editing
- Bibliographic data bases
- Online Collaboration Tools
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated successful experience building trust and respect with some or all of the ten Traditional Owner Groups in the Fitzroy Catchment of the Kimberley region.
- Experience in driving on-road to remote locations.
- Experience in moving and using technical equipment in the bush.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Applications Close: Friday, 21st December, 2018