Manage CSIRO's Boorowa Agricultural Research Station - an exciting new development in agricultural research
Work with a diverse range of agricultural scientific staff using the latest digital equipment available
Be involved in the final stages of construction of a new, state of the art, agricultural facility
CSIRO has recently commenced the construction phase of the Boorowa Agricultural Research Station (BARS) which will be a new, purpose built, state of the art and digitally integrated agricultural research facility capable of delivering CSIRO’s agricultural research requirements into the future.
The Boorowa Agricultural Research Station (BARS) Manager will be an important coordinating role specific to the BARS within CSIRO Agriculture and Food (A&F). The Research Station Manager will provide oversight of the whole research station and allied off station research sites. The BARS Manager supports the A&F Research Operations Manager and the broader research community.
The successful applicant will commence work at the existing Ginninderra Experimental Station and will transition to the Boorowa site in 2019.
It is expected that the Research Station Manager will spend approximately:
- 60% of their time involved in activities directly attributable to supporting the research activities of BARS and all off-sites
- 30% of their time managing their team, supervising the activities of others and, as an immediate manager of staff, will oversee the performance and development of those staff to establish a positive and productive workplace culture with a strong focus on HSE and wellbeing.
- 10% of their time to manage all appropriate external relationships including other CSIRO groups and external stakeholders such as local council authorities and the Australian Government Department of Agriculture.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research operations team, to carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
- Directly line managing up to five research support staff focussing on their day-to day performance, resource management, team cohesion, relationships with research teams/staff and compliance with HSE standards and procedures.
- Influencing and managing a positive change as the team transitions from Ginninderra Experimental Station to BARS.
- Managing the day to day activities of the BARS including involvement in final stages of construction, hand over and commissioning of the facility with particular focus on built infrastructure i.e. new buildings, new irrigation system, GPS identified research plots plus others.
- Overseeing and/or undertaking plan field rotation strategies to maximise their utility for ongoing scientific experimentation.
- Working with a diverse range of scientific equipment with emphasis on the digital capabilities of the research station, data acquisition, data validation and management, data storage and researcher access.
Location: Ginninderra (initially) and Boorowa (2019 onwards)
Salary: AU $95k to AU $103k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A tertiary degree in Agricultural Science and/or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in Agricultural Science, Agronomics, Digital and/or Precision Agriculture.
- Experience in working within a research organisation.
- Experience in managing staff, teams and relationships with researchers.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks autonomously in support of scientific research.
To view the full position description and selection criteria for this role please click here: Position description
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Find out more here! Balance
How to Apply: Please load one document containing your CV and a brief cover letter which outlines your interest in the role and your motivations for applying (Maximum 2MB). At the end of the online application process, you will also be required to respond to some screening questions.
Applications Close: This role will remain open until filled.