- Take the next step in your urban design career
- $100K to $112K + Super (pro rata)
- Part-time (3 days/week) fixed term to December 2021
At Moreland our diverse community is vibrant and full of energy, with an array of community services and place making, fabulous festivals, cool pools, libraries and a recently designed gallery space, scenic bike paths and a community of artists and creative industries and shops. We are a progressive cosmopolitan council with 180,000 residents and with ambitions for environmental sustainability, social justice and community wellbeing. Moreland's Civic Centre is in Coburg, just 8 kilometres north of Melbourne’s CBD, with excellent public transport options, great food and cafés, providing Moreland to be a great place to live, work and play.
Find out more about Moreland here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FiM3A5hS9Y
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Urban Design Unit within the City Strategy and Design Branch has an exciting opportunity for a part-time Principal Urban Planner to join the team until December 2021. In this role you will have the opportunity to contribute to the high quality, sustainable design and revitalisation of better places in Moreland by developing, monitoring, implementing and reviewing a broad range of urban design projects and other duties as directed by management including:
- Urban design for Moreland’s Place Management Programs, Structure Plans, Activity Centres, shopping strips and other places;
- Managing and implementing projects, plans, policies and strategies, which further urban design objectives for Moreland, including project managing complex urban design projects (capital and operating).;
- Provision of urban design referral advice;
- Preparation of graphical information; and
- Project managing public realm improvements.
- Mentoring other members of the team.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- High degree of understanding of current urban design and landscape architectural principles and practices.
- Highly developed conceptual, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent graphic and computer literacy skills including experience with CAD programs such as AutoCAD, graphic design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite and 3D modelling programs including Sketch Up.
- Demonstrated project management skills including project development and implementation, team planning and resource management ensuring delivery of outcomes within budget and agreed timeframes
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with a variety of internal and external contacts, including the capacity to deal with and resolve conflict.
- Ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary teams to achieve the objectives of the position, with direction from Unit Manager and Principal Urban Designers.
Ability to operate with a level of autonomy, receiving limited direction in general day-to-day work, seeking direction from Unit Manager &/or Branch Manager on matters requiring Manager, Director or Council approval/direction.
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER
- Opportunity to work in a professional and supportive team
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Work/Life Balance
For further information please contact Damien Fitzgerald on 9240 2451.
Applications close: 11.30 pm, 8 November 2020. (*in the case that we receive a high volume of applications we may close this advert before the closing date).
Before submitting an application please view the Position Description.
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.