About the Engineering Services Department
This department is part of our City Services Division, and is responsible for the effective and sustainable management of Council’s infrastructural assets, including the planning, design, and delivery of a number of asset-related services.
About the role
The Principal Stormwater Planning Engineer undertakes investigation and resolution to drainage related issues as well as providing specialist engineering direction with Council's flood mapping, modelling and flood level information.
In conjunction, the position ensures that urban growth and development is carried out giving due regard to stormwater management and quality best practice and community expectations along with developing and implementing the production of innovative and effective policies, strategies, plans and practices for effective management of stormwater and related infrastructure.
- Role model and promote Council values in all aspects of duty.
- Undertake flood and stormwater studies and investigations, including quality management, reports and presentations to key stakeholders.
- Project manage flood studies undertaken by specialist consultants, including the review of flood impact assessments prepared by consultants.
- Provide flood advice for Special Building Overlay applications.
- Assist with Planning Scheme Amendments to create flood overlays or zones within the Greater Geelong Planning Scheme and Initiate designation of flood-prone areas under the Building Regulations.
- Maintain the City’s digital Flood Prone Areas data including revocation of areas no longer requiring designation.
- Input to and support for planning scheme amendments, specific to implementing flood and stormwater planning controls and urban growth.
- Undertake a mentoring/coaching role that shares technical knowledge and experience with respect to drainage and flood management, with other engineers.
Key selection criteria
- Tertiary qualification in Civil Engineering or tertiary qualification in equivalent disciplines.
- Experience in the assessment of development applications on flood prone land.
- Extensive experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modelling, particularly in the use of XP STORM, TUFLOW, DRAINS, RAFTS, HEC-RAS models.
- Extensive experience in developing, implementing and reviewing flood study, floodplain risk management study and risk management plan for mainstream flooding and overland flow path within budget, time and quality standards.
- Demonstrated experience in investigation, analysis and selection of flood mitigation and drainage treatment options, assessment and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience working with professional/technical staff, consultants and contractors, managers, staff and stakeholders to resolve high priority, and often sensitive and complex matters.
About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Justin Hinch | 03 5272 6164 | email@example.com
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 20 April 2018.