About the Environment & Waste Department
This department is part of our City Services Division, and is responsible for building a sustainable City through the facilitation, promotion and adoption of a proactive approach in the use of our natural resources. The department also looks after the City's waste management program including the operation of our landfills, transfer stations and resource recovery centres.
About the role
This position will assist Council and community to ensure that biodiversity and natural landscapes are retained, protected and enhanced.
- Role model and promote Council values in all aspects of duty.
- Assist in the implementation of relevant strategies, including the Environment Management Strategy and Biodiversity Strategy.
- Contribute to the retention, protection, enhancement, and re-vegetation of native vegetation, with a goal of improving the extent and quality of habitat and biodiversity values (flora and fauna).
- Assist with the development and review of Council’s programs related to environment and biodiversity.
- Manage a range of key environmental projects and tasks relating to environment and biodiversity programs.
- Proactively engage and plan programs with a range of key internal and external stakeholders including catchment networks and government agencies.
- Actively engage and support relevant community groups including Friends of Groups, Coastcare and Landcare.
- Provide accurate and timely information and advice to other staff and community groups on environment and biodiversity programs.
Key selection criteria
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant field.
- Relevant qualifications in Project Management, or significant knowledge of best practice project management methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience protecting and enhancing biodiversity values with a goal of improving their extent, quality and amenity where applicable.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience providing strategic and policy advice on environment and biodiversity issues.
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships with a range of stakeholders, both external and internal, to achieve optimal outcomes.
About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Jeanette Spittle | 03 5272 5041 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5.00pm Friday 8 December 2017.